The vincent factory now.

glen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
So what do the vincent factory,s look like now? The great north road, stevenage.
And fishers Green ??? It would be good to check out on google maps.

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Fishers green now houses named Vincent court I think, no1 Great north Rd. from the road,canteen looks the same but all of the other areas are new School

VincenttwinPL1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi David, on a different subject, can you recall what the finish was like on the Vincent seat bases? Was the ply treated? Painted black or varnished? Paul

miked

Active Forum User
VOC Member

Attachments

• VinWorks.jpg
    VinWorks.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 248

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I can't look it up now, but doesn't KTB say the plywood was not painted or varvished?

1660bob

VOC Member
My original seat base was naked as a jaybird, turned grey with age, splintered but not rotten. It was 9mm SEVEN ply plywood.
I gave up with the 4/5 ply C__P flogged by local woodyards and finally tracked down some real mcoy at a Bristol marine supplier: Robbins Super Elite. Its the best available,BS1088 RNLI/LLOYDS approved 9mm thick marine (7)ply mahogany for persistently wet/dry areas and is very expensive, £37.18 +VAT+ p&p.Minimum amount 1/4 sheet.
I have two pieces left over each ample to make a seat base. Anyone interested at £18 a go plus p&p give me a call on 01772 497505 or PM me, saves forking out for a 1/4 sheet and having loads left over, Bob

Attachments

• gates vincent gaedens 009.jpg
    gates vincent gaedens 009.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 47
  • gates vincent gaedens 017.jpg
    gates vincent gaedens 017.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 47

VincenttwinPL1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks David! I have what I'm sure is an original wooden seat base and the under side is painted a dull black. It just shows, you can't always believe what some of the books say! Can you remember any details of the Feridax logo on the back of the seat? Was it a riveted on badge or gold lettering applied to the surface of the material? I have recently been looking at an "original" seat cover that has simply the word FERIDAX is gold capital lettering approx 3/8" high, the machine it is fitted to was manufactured in December 1951. Is it possible the logo format was different for earlier and later machines? Paul

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Early a badge then these were getting stolen so then Feridax did it in gold letter also Velocette had a similar seat my brother in in UK has a 1947 KTS with one,