The Unrideables

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When men were men and the bikes were just amazing. I rode an rg500 for a few years-it was the best fun a man can have, and still with your clothes on! Provided you don't mind having your heart in your mouth!

vibrac

VOC Member
When men were men and the bikes were just amazing. I rode an rg500 for a few years-it was the best fun a man can have, and still with your clothes on! Provided you don't mind having your heart in your mouth!

It takes about 20 years before the patina of age makes old racers look good pity is it all fades after 60 years (who has heard of Freddy Dixon nowadays?)

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Fred Dixon was the inventor of the colourtune. His method was to run the motor on stub exhaust pipes and observe the colours of the flames whilst wearng a pair of "shades" . as brave as he was riding the dinosaurs of his time, he would still need the famous "brown trousers" on a tz 500 or rg 500, trust me I have ridden both ancient and modern.

vibrac

VOC Member
must have been the only time he wore shades he liked to ride without goggles when the ACU insisted he wore them for the TT he did - but he took the glass out first.
(I think his HRD has a screen)
Its a close call twixt a ridged HRD round the island at 64mph or a TZ and after flying a Riley at Brooklands I dont think a jap 2 stroke would give Freddie anything but a thrill

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Vibrac, you must have either mis-read or mis-understood my last post. Or maybe you are just plain combative! Freddie wore the shades to set-up his carburation on just about every machine he raced, I have it on good authority from one of his competitors from the day. It is most unfair , at best, to compare riders or drivers of disparate eras, they were all the heroes of their day.