The Picos

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A couple of my non Vincent adventure riding friends have bumped into Ernie and Gilli in the Picos, you have got to hand it to that couple, they do some serious miles on their Vincents, puts me well and truly to shame, the way they are going they will catching up with Stuart Jenkinson soon.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes they certainly get the miles in and get all that VOC work done as well.
They are a great team for the club.

Funny thing happened to me in the Picos, I was riding along a dirt road dusty and hot, surface smooth, going quite fast.
Then, down the road towards me came a truck spraying water to lay the dust.
It passed me and it was like someone pulled both brakes on! Within 10 yards I was stationary, both wheels clogged with red mud from mudguard to hub.
I sat for an hour till it dried and I could prise it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I did the Picos a few years ago on my Rapide, I mentioned various aspects of my trip to the friends mentioned in my previous post, suggesting several places to visit, but the best of all being the ride up to the glacial lakes of Covadonga, so they went to do it, but time has changed things, you have to park down the bottom and take the bus up there now, the only option, shame, but apparently in the interests of ecology, glad I did it when I could, it was spectacular.

Albervin

VOC Member
Yes they certainly get the miles in and get all that VOC work done as well.
They are a great team for the club.

Funny thing happened to me in the Picos, I was riding along a dirt road dusty and hot, surface smooth, going quite fast.
Then, down the road towards me came a truck spraying water to lay the dust.
It passed me and it was like someone pulled both brakes on! Within 10 yards I was stationary, both wheels clogged with red mud from mudguard to hub.
I sat for an hour till it dried and I could prise it off.
Tim, I remember removing my front mudguard on many occasions back in the '70s so the clay didn't seize up the front wheel. At rallies you would see all these bikes with the front guard strapped on top of the luggage.