The Oil Tank Shadow

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I would leave alone if its not leaking at the joint. Braze joints are stronger than what you think, and as the UFM is such a large well built and strong construction it won't weaken it. As for cosmetic appearance, once the fuel tank is on you won't be able to see it at all. You could smear a thin coat of filler over the braze joint before painting, but I would just paint it.

Cheers,
Simon.

ET43

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
UFM repair

Hi Gents, It seems to me that Pete400 has effectively removed half the strength from this awful repair by grinding it back flush. Judging by the state of the repair, I would hazard a guess and say that that repair had a lot of glass slag in it, which when it degrades will leave holes for oil to get out. The same criteria applied to the fuel tanks that I have seen repaired with braize. They all leaked! I'm not an engineer, but I would be inclined to infill this area with a steel patch as has been suggested, and whilst you are at it, clean the thing out, fit one of the paper filters and a spin on oil filter in the return line, put a magnet on a wire hanging down inside the UFM filler neck, you''l be surprised what it catches, and one in the sump plug, and Bob's your uncle.
Good Luck with it,
ET43

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
UFM Repairs

G'day Pete,
Now I can see it a bit better I think you have three options. 1. As Dan and Simon say, it looks like quite a strong weld so leave it alone and paint it and use it. 2. How far away from Patric Godet are you? His frames are braze welded I believe to a very high standard. He could make a very informed decision if you take it to him. Possibly he might just reprep it and redo the weld. Mind you if Patric does it then it will be so good and look so good that you won't want to paint it and cover it up. :) 3. As I mentioned previously, Carefully cut the piece out and get a piece tig welded back in.
Dan is right, all Jaguar E-type sub frames are brazed and they work well, even in competition.

Phelps.

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks ET43 and Phelps for your answers, it really help me ! Interesting regarding jaguar E type. Well, I live in the south of France, near Marseille, and Patrick is a bit far from me. If I lived near him, I will probably went to see him and show him the tank for a advice. I think I'm going to put it back for the moment. If the oil tank leaks, therefore, I will cut the piece out and get a piece tig welded back in.
Thanks again,
Pete.

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
Just a quick note to confirm the VOC Spares Co can supply. to order. an oil tank section on it's own, Pete4000 has been in touch and if his repairs do not go well he is considering a new tank.
Ian S

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
re-brazing

The Jaguar frames have to be bronze welded because they are made of Reynolds"531" the same as a manx nortonframe. If any other form of welding is used the material will become crystalline(not only brittle but dangerous). The are too many "engineers" out there

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Welding Chromemoly

Chromoly can be welded........by tig welding. Granted it has to be stress relieved after but that is another form of welding it. Aircraft tubes are welded this way.

Phelps.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
When Reynolds came-up with 531 the only choices were gas or electric arc welding. tig+mig had not yet been invented, wonderful acheivments are possible with these new systems! Roy.

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Jaguar frames were "bronze welded" because you can teach a monkey to braze. Teaching someone how to do a proper weld on "531" (USA 4130?)
takes time and money and you have to pay him a higher rate of pay too.:eek:

Ken Smith
(Amature welder, gas, braze, tig, mig, submerged arc (Crankshaft build up).

The Jaguar frames have to be bronze welded because they are made of Reynolds"531" the same as a manx nortonframe. If any other form of welding is used the material will become crystalline(not only brittle but dangerous). The are too many "engineers" out there