The Oil Tank Shadow

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Everybody,
I just pull out my oil tank this afternoon for cleaning and its really in bad shape. It has already been cut on the side probably to repair a broken pipe. I would like to know if this part is available as new, because I haven't seen it on the Vincent spares web site ? Or is there anybody in England able to make a new and proper one ?
Thanks.

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
UFM/Oil tank

Hi Pete,

When the club/ VOCSC built the shadow a year or so ago it was possible to buy a new UFM to mate up with your existing headstock. If you contact the spares Co. and speak to the team they should be able to help you.

Best of luck
Neil

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Dan and Neil for your quick answers ! I've went on the Norvincentre website and they have a new complete UFM for 1195 GBP.
The VOC spares CO, got a complete one for 1499 GBP.
That is a lot of money ! However, they sell it with the headlug. I'm going to ask them if it could possible to have only the oil tank without the headlug, because I don't need it, but maybe it won't be possible...
Pete

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
UFM Repairs

Pete,
Is it possible to put up a couple of photos of it?. What you consider impossible to repair may indeed just be repairable given the right facilities and expertise. I have seen some pretty desperate motorcycle, car, truck and aeroplane parts repaired to as new condition. The UFM is after all just sheet steel.

Phelps.

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Phelps,

I'm going to make pics of it and show you. Well, when I say it is in bad shape is the fact that is has been cut on the side, and I don't know what was done inside. The cut part has been put back by brazing. Is it good ?
Should I open again and make a good welding ? I'm not sure that brazing is good for an oil tank that supports the engine. What do you think ?
Is this recommanded for a Vincent ?

G

Graham Smith

Thanks Dan and Neil for your quick answers ! I've went on the Norvincentre website and they have a new complete UFM for 1195 GBP.
The VOC spares CO, got a complete one for 1499 GBP.
That is a lot of money ! However, they sell it with the headlug. I'm going to ask them if it could possible to have only the oil tank without the headlug, because I don't need it, but maybe it won't be possible...
Pete

As far as I know, the ones the Spares Company supply don't come from the same supplier as the Norvin Centre's ones.

Furthermore, again, as far as I know, the Spares Company ones have been made against the drawings supplied by the VOC's Technical Committee.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
UFM Repair

G'Day Pete,
It sounds from your description a little like a hole has been cut in the side of it for some particular reason and a patch brazed over the top. I am surmising that it would be fairly easy to repair. The patch must be removed by careful cutting and grinding. Don't try to remove it by heating and melting the braze, this will most probably result in the braze material going deep into the granular structure of the steel and you will have to cut that out too. The edges of the hole should then be evened out and made more regular. Next a piece of sheet steel the same gauge as the original must be cut and filed to perfectly fit the hole and the edges weld prepped. A competent tig welder can then weld the piece in place and with careful grinding and sanding the repair will be almost invisible. Without actually seeing it, it is difficult to make a definite analysis though.

Phelps.

Last edited:

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Phelps,

Thanks for your reply. Here are pics of my UFM. The first one, I remove only the paint and the second one, I grind it to make it proper. After grinding it, I put some liquid in it to see if there was any leakage, but noting, everything is OK.
What do you think? Should I put it back like this ? The brazing seems OK, but is it really recommanded ?
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN2853.jpg
    DSCN2853.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN2859.jpg
    DSCN2859.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 120

Bracker1

VOC Member
Hi Pete, Looks like a Gorilla repair, ugly but strong. If the bike is going to be restored to a high standard, repair with TIG or replace. Brazing is a very strong repair, lower heat and distortion. I think Jaguar subframe tubes are brazed , and they are under a bit more stress. Personally, I would clean it up, paint, and put back together for spring riding as is. Good luck, Dan