The New Vincent Black Shadow

alscomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
shadow

Why do we need to dispose of the bike,lets have a raffel each year so that a club member or a section could take care of the bike for a year that way the funds would be repaid and the bike would be retained for the club to exhibit.
as far as building new ones stop them from doing it it makes more sense.

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
The Sept. GCM minutes and accounts that I recently received suggest the capital cost to the VOC was in excess of £28k.

Personnaly I like the idea of retaining the bike and sharing it amongst sections just like the Series A Comet. Trouble is that this would be a problem shipping it outside the UK and would not be fair to all members unless the costs and probable international bureaucracy involved for the customs and revenue/tax/shipping costscollectors from here to VietNam.

Vic

Albervin

VOC Member
At the moment it is an asset. It may be worth more or less next year (like shares) but it is still a saleable commodity & should not be treated as a liabibilty. As an overseas member, I rely on the many friends I have around the world to lend me one of their treasured machines when I pop up in their area; wouldn't it be nice if I could rent the club bike on a trip to the UK? Of course that raises all sorts of insurance, MOT etc. problems BUT the London Douglas Motorcycle Club does exactly that with several bikes. There are avenues that have yet to be explored & the VOC has the funds to not have to rush into this. I am sure the executive will look at these avenues & make a sound & rational decision in the fullness of time.
Alyn

Last edited:

MikeMcCartney

Forum User
VOC Member
The VOC Black Shadow

I have no idea who the high bidder for the machine was, nor do I care. Screw him. I will say that I am the second highest bidder. As I made the Hon. Secretary know by Email recently, I am still working on getting the funds together for the purchase. Specifically, I have pursuaded my partners to sell our mechanical engineering / contracting firm here in Toronto, and we are negotiating the sale as of time of writing of this missive.

Whereas the funds were readily available in my account in January of this year, I spent a great deal of it restoring two valuable old Vins, Rapide # F10AB/1/328 and Black Shadow F10AB/1B/10186. The chaps at the Spares Company, as well as the Kemps, know me well. I've spent thousands on their merchandise. Moreover, unlike a few scoundrels who have short-changed him over the years, I have paid Mike White top dollar for his valuable time for rebuilding the two engines. All told, $30,000 - plus has gone into parts and labour on the two machines, and more is to follow.

If you wish to deliver to me a verbal beating - up over this issue, please fell free to E-mail me at MMcceng77@aol.com, or call me at 416-822-7139 and lay it on me. I can take it. I'm an adult.

As to the amount of my bid, that is none of your business. Several of my acquaintances know, and thats as far as it goes.

Lastly: If you think I am not worthy of membership in the VOC, step up to the plate and tell me so, either via Email or a phone call. Please sign your Email with your Christian name. Hiding behind screen names, as some of you have done, is just not my style.

Cheers! Mike McCartney, Toronto

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Mike - I'm one of the un-sympathetic ones

Hi Mike,
Good on you for the posting. You'll see I've had a bit to say about bidder one and two, and I've not been sympathetic - but it is very good to know that you are a genuine bidder, not mucking about, just unable to complete the transaction. Thanks for that.
Me, well I don't bid on things when I am unable to complete the purchase by having the funds available or being in a position to raise them immediately the auction closes and they are requested. Perhaps I misunderstood what I thought was an auction for the Shadow. I'm sure you'll understand frustration when the club has remained silent on the issue.
Fingers crossed I do hope that you can get your finances sorted and add the new Shadow to the other two before the club makes alternative arrangements. Good luck to you in seeking to sell your business and again, good on you for the posting.
Cheers
Stuart (first name) Metcalfe

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Mike thanks for the info and the offer to accept abuse. I normally have to pay for this kind of service!

Like Stuart, I wouldn't bid on something unless I had the funds tucked away for the purchase, so I don't fully understand the situation you are in.
Then again, my idea of getting wild with money is to go see a flick when it isn't Cheapie Tuesday at the local Moviehouse.
In truth, I have only thought about going when it wasn't Cheapie Tuesday night, I haven't actually been so cavalier just yet.:)

Monkey (first name) Pants

MikeMcCartney

Forum User
VOC Member
Might I ask........

how much ARE you paying for that sort of abuse??

AND....is she good - looking??

And is she the kind of girl who...well, you wouldnt bring her home to Mother....but Father would approve?

MM

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Mike,
So, some light shines on on a black shadow. My previous posting has warned against hasty judgments on the bidders having not met their offers, so it is satisfying to find one who is having temporary cash problems showing his head and still hoping to do the deal. With the lack of info. up to this point everyone was shooting, and shouting, in the dark.Thanks for putting forward your point of view and with luck you will finally get your prize.
Having said that, my method when buying anything from a loaf of bread,a house or a Black Shadow (the last one I bought cost 110 pounds but the sidecar was poor) is to always have the cash reserved but we all have our own way of doing things.You have to admire someone who had the courage to say to the partner/friend/wife: "I think we should sell the business to buy another 'bike!!!..................."
As to hiding behind a "screen name". When applying for a forum user name, I expected it to be only seen by the user as per internet banking etc.. who was to know it would have been displayed to the forum users and the world at large? Mr. P Wig I have become!
Regards P.Wig (Alias Col)

G

Graham Smith

Changing Your Username

Don't forget that if you do want to change your username on the forum. It's pretty straightforward to do so.

Just send me an e-mail with your old name and your new name and I will take care of things.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
how much ARE you paying for that sort of abuse??

AND....is she good - looking??

And is she the kind of girl who...well, you wouldnt bring her home to Mother....but Father would approve?

MM

The usual budget constraints ruled out any attractive female, so unfortunately HE is rather unattractive.
Now that I have found this forum though, I can get that monkey off my back!:)