The New Vincent Black Shadow

piggywig

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A word of caution before we go down the name & shame route as has been suggested, as there are numerous genuine reasons bidders cannot come up with the money ( A common enough event in the real estate world!) Being a builder I know how that feels.
Some may make a bid in good faith before asking their friendly bank manager for perhaps 50,000 pounds for a modern copy of a 50 yr.old motorcycle, who then perhaps becomes decidedly less friendly!
The usual thing to do after one of these admittedly annoying and often costly events is to put it in the memory bank, benefit from the experience and settle on another method of doing the job. No suggestions from me on that front, but suggestions for the responsible committee to consider are coming thick and fast anyway. Good luck to them, a great deal of effort has already gone into this great project, they deserve success.
Col.

Debbie Kemp

VOC Member
The sympathy vote

Those that couldn't see their bids through (due to genuine reasons) shouldn't be named and shamed. Just imagine it was you and then think about how gutted they must be feeling right now....so near and yet so far:(

The fact remains that they were the only people who made bids higher than the reserve price, which I imagine was probably set to cover costs. In a club of over 2,000 members, maybe we shouldn't spend our time slating two people who had to withdraw their bids.

Whoever it ends up with, by whatever means, I just hope that the Black Shadow goes to someone who will genuinely want it as a bike to be ridden and enjoyed, not an investment piece that is hidden away or re-sold straight away to make someone else rich.:)

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Me - I'd be tougher on them....

I don't have as much of the information as some people clearly do but it is great to see there are a few caring people left in the world out there.

Me, I'd be a bit tougher on them. I too work in Real Estate for a living, and collect old Toy Trains as my other hobby beside motorbikes and have been at auctions for the last 20 years - if you register and place a bid in good faith then you are expected to execute, end of story. In Real Estate (not a good parallel I'd suggest) if it is subject to getting the funding from the bank then you say so when you place the bid - and your bid would then (in this case) be ignored and save wasting time. If the reality is that one guy got the exchange rate wrong and bid $160,000 then I find that a bit surprising as he was then expecting to win the bike for $40,000 (2to1 reversed on an £80K bid) - I don't think so somehow - something tells me a Shadow sells for more than that in the States. More likley perhaps he changed his mind.

What about bidder 2 - what was his story?

Perhaps there was a third bid at/near the reserve price and the club can use discretion to accept it. It would be lovely to see the bike go to a good home.....

Personally I'd like to hear what happened, perhaps it will be covered in some detail in the next MPH?

Stuart

R

Rap998

Use it.

Just duplicate what the club does with the Series'A' Comet every year and get the use out of the replica!

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Gets my vote but see my earlier posting - what about overseas

I'm with you big time but it doesn't work for overseas members and it's only fair they benefit too.

I'd even rent it for a weekend!!! (well actually for several, funds permitting - but if I promised to rent it and then couldn't afford it after all don't be angry with me.........)

Stuart

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Sell it.

It did not sell so put it in an auction and get some money for it so that the VOC can have the loan repaid.
Stuart, if you want to rent a Black Shadow then give me a call and you can rent mine, then again just enjoy what you have :D

Russ

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
KWS 100 Rapide

Hi Russ,

Good advice. I love having KWS 100 back in the family again after 25 years - and it's so much fun to ride (much more than I had feared having been on modern iron for the last 20 years). One day in the future another may join her, but I still thank goodness for what I'm lucky enough to own, and am so grateful to Brian for agreeing to sell her back to me from Australia - not many folks get the chance to have the actual machine back again.

Having said that - I've only ever ridden one Vincent in my life - this one, so how do you go about telling if the one you are riding is "right"

Cheers for now, and thanks again for all the shiny bits.

Stuart

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Right???

Stuart, It is yours. You own it, you ride it and you enjoy it so it must be right what ever right is ;)

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Shadow

There are 3 obvious ways to dispose of this bike.

1. Put it on eBay - this gets the widest possible market and highest price.

2. Give it to VMCC to raffle [they have an established routine for running raffles] and split the proceeds in an agreed proportion.

3. Give it to me.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Yes but........

On ebay you'd only get Mr "I don't understand the dollar exchange rate" and Mrs "I'm going to bid for it but don't actually have the money so don't expect me to pay for it" bidding again.

The "reserve" rumours I have heard range from £26K through £35K - anyone know the real number?

I like option 3, but can I have it instead????????

S