• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

The New Vincent Black Shadow

piggywig

Well Known and Active Website User
Non-VOC Member
A word of caution before we go down the name & shame route as has been suggested, as there are numerous genuine reasons bidders cannot come up with the money ( A common enough event in the real estate world!) Being a builder I know how that feels.
Some may make a bid in good faith before asking their friendly bank manager for perhaps 50,000 pounds for a modern copy of a 50 yr.old motorcycle, who then perhaps becomes decidedly less friendly!
The usual thing to do after one of these admittedly annoying and often costly events is to put it in the memory bank, benefit from the experience and settle on another method of doing the job. No suggestions from me on that front, but suggestions for the responsible committee to consider are coming thick and fast anyway. Good luck to them, a great deal of effort has already gone into this great project, they deserve success.
Col.

Debbie Kemp

VOC Member
The sympathy vote

Those that couldn't see their bids through (due to genuine reasons) shouldn't be named and shamed. Just imagine it was you and then think about how gutted they must be feeling right now....so near and yet so far:(

The fact remains that they were the only people who made bids higher than the reserve price, which I imagine was probably set to cover costs. In a club of over 2,000 members, maybe we shouldn't spend our time slating two people who had to withdraw their bids.

Whoever it ends up with, by whatever means, I just hope that the Black Shadow goes to someone who will genuinely want it as a bike to be ridden and enjoyed, not an investment piece that is hidden away or re-sold straight away to make someone else rich.:)

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Me - I'd be tougher on them....

I don't have as much of the information as some people clearly do but it is great to see there are a few caring people left in the world out there.

Me, I'd be a bit tougher on them. I too work in Real Estate for a living, and collect old Toy Trains as my other hobby beside motorbikes and have been at auctions for the last 20 years - if you register and place a bid in good faith then you are expected to execute, end of story. In Real Estate (not a good parallel I'd suggest) if it is subject to getting the funding from the bank then you say so when you place the bid - and your bid would then (in this case) be ignored and save wasting time. If the reality is that one guy got the exchange rate wrong and bid $160,000 then I find that a bit surprising as he was then expecting to win the bike for $40,000 (2to1 reversed on an £80K bid) - I don't think so somehow - something tells me a Shadow sells for more than that in the States. More likley perhaps he changed his mind.

What about bidder 2 - what was his story?

Perhaps there was a third bid at/near the reserve price and the club can use discretion to accept it. It would be lovely to see the bike go to a good home.....

Personally I'd like to hear what happened, perhaps it will be covered in some detail in the next MPH?

Stuart

R

Rap998

Use it.

Just duplicate what the club does with the Series'A' Comet every year and get the use out of the replica!

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Gets my vote but see my earlier posting - what about overseas

I'm with you big time but it doesn't work for overseas members and it's only fair they benefit too.

I'd even rent it for a weekend!!! (well actually for several, funds permitting - but if I promised to rent it and then couldn't afford it after all don't be angry with me.........)

Stuart

Sell it.

It did not sell so put it in an auction and get some money for it so that the VOC can have the loan repaid.
Stuart, if you want to rent a Black Shadow then give me a call and you can rent mine, then again just enjoy what you have :D

Russ

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
KWS 100 Rapide

Hi Russ,

Good advice. I love having KWS 100 back in the family again after 25 years - and it's so much fun to ride (much more than I had feared having been on modern iron for the last 20 years). One day in the future another may join her, but I still thank goodness for what I'm lucky enough to own, and am so grateful to Brian for agreeing to sell her back to me from Australia - not many folks get the chance to have the actual machine back again.

Having said that - I've only ever ridden one Vincent in my life - this one, so how do you go about telling if the one you are riding is "right"

Cheers for now, and thanks again for all the shiny bits.

Stuart

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Shadow

There are 3 obvious ways to dispose of this bike.

1. Put it on eBay - this gets the widest possible market and highest price.

2. Give it to VMCC to raffle [they have an established routine for running raffles] and split the proceeds in an agreed proportion.

3. Give it to me.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Yes but........

On ebay you'd only get Mr "I don't understand the dollar exchange rate" and Mrs "I'm going to bid for it but don't actually have the money so don't expect me to pay for it" bidding again.

The "reserve" rumours I have heard range from £26K through £35K - anyone know the real number?

I like option 3, but can I have it instead????????

S

alscomet

VOC Member
shadow

Why do we need to dispose of the bike,lets have a raffel each year so that a club member or a section could take care of the bike for a year that way the funds would be repaid and the bike would be retained for the club to exhibit.
as far as building new ones stop them from doing it it makes more sense.

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
The Sept. GCM minutes and accounts that I recently received suggest the capital cost to the VOC was in excess of £28k.

Personnaly I like the idea of retaining the bike and sharing it amongst sections just like the Series A Comet. Trouble is that this would be a problem shipping it outside the UK and would not be fair to all members unless the costs and probable international bureaucracy involved for the customs and revenue/tax/shipping costscollectors from here to VietNam.

Vic

Albervin

VOC Member
At the moment it is an asset. It may be worth more or less next year (like shares) but it is still a saleable commodity & should not be treated as a liabibilty. As an overseas member, I rely on the many friends I have around the world to lend me one of their treasured machines when I pop up in their area; wouldn't it be nice if I could rent the club bike on a trip to the UK? Of course that raises all sorts of insurance, MOT etc. problems BUT the London Douglas Motorcycle Club does exactly that with several bikes. There are avenues that have yet to be explored & the VOC has the funds to not have to rush into this. I am sure the executive will look at these avenues & make a sound & rational decision in the fullness of time.
Alyn

Last edited:

MikeMcCartney

New Website User
Non-VOC Member
The VOC Black Shadow

I have no idea who the high bidder for the machine was, nor do I care. Screw him. I will say that I am the second highest bidder. As I made the Hon. Secretary know by Email recently, I am still working on getting the funds together for the purchase. Specifically, I have pursuaded my partners to sell our mechanical engineering / contracting firm here in Toronto, and we are negotiating the sale as of time of writing of this missive.

Whereas the funds were readily available in my account in January of this year, I spent a great deal of it restoring two valuable old Vins, Rapide # F10AB/1/328 and Black Shadow F10AB/1B/10186. The chaps at the Spares Company, as well as the Kemps, know me well. I've spent thousands on their merchandise. Moreover, unlike a few scoundrels who have short-changed him over the years, I have paid Mike White top dollar for his valuable time for rebuilding the two engines. All told, $30,000 - plus has gone into parts and labour on the two machines, and more is to follow.

If you wish to deliver to me a verbal beating - up over this issue, please fell free to E-mail me at MMcceng77@aol.com, or call me at 416-822-7139 and lay it on me. I can take it. I'm an adult.

As to the amount of my bid, that is none of your business. Several of my acquaintances know, and thats as far as it goes.

Lastly: If you think I am not worthy of membership in the VOC, step up to the plate and tell me so, either via Email or a phone call. Please sign your Email with your Christian name. Hiding behind screen names, as some of you have done, is just not my style.

Cheers! Mike McCartney, Toronto

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Mike - I'm one of the un-sympathetic ones

Hi Mike,
Good on you for the posting. You'll see I've had a bit to say about bidder one and two, and I've not been sympathetic - but it is very good to know that you are a genuine bidder, not mucking about, just unable to complete the transaction. Thanks for that.
Me, well I don't bid on things when I am unable to complete the purchase by having the funds available or being in a position to raise them immediately the auction closes and they are requested. Perhaps I misunderstood what I thought was an auction for the Shadow. I'm sure you'll understand frustration when the club has remained silent on the issue.
Fingers crossed I do hope that you can get your finances sorted and add the new Shadow to the other two before the club makes alternative arrangements. Good luck to you in seeking to sell your business and again, good on you for the posting.
Cheers
Stuart (first name) Metcalfe

Glenliman

VOC Member
Mike thanks for the info and the offer to accept abuse. I normally have to pay for this kind of service!

Like Stuart, I wouldn't bid on something unless I had the funds tucked away for the purchase, so I don't fully understand the situation you are in.
Then again, my idea of getting wild with money is to go see a flick when it isn't Cheapie Tuesday at the local Moviehouse.
In truth, I have only thought about going when it wasn't Cheapie Tuesday night, I haven't actually been so cavalier just yet.:)

Monkey (first name) Pants

MikeMcCartney

New Website User
Non-VOC Member
Might I ask........

how much ARE you paying for that sort of abuse??

AND....is she good - looking??

And is she the kind of girl who...well, you wouldnt bring her home to Mother....but Father would approve?

MM

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Mike,
So, some light shines on on a black shadow. My previous posting has warned against hasty judgments on the bidders having not met their offers, so it is satisfying to find one who is having temporary cash problems showing his head and still hoping to do the deal. With the lack of info. up to this point everyone was shooting, and shouting, in the dark.Thanks for putting forward your point of view and with luck you will finally get your prize.
Having said that, my method when buying anything from a loaf of bread,a house or a Black Shadow (the last one I bought cost 110 pounds but the sidecar was poor) is to always have the cash reserved but we all have our own way of doing things.You have to admire someone who had the courage to say to the partner/friend/wife: "I think we should sell the business to buy another 'bike!!!..................."
As to hiding behind a "screen name". When applying for a forum user name, I expected it to be only seen by the user as per internet banking etc.. who was to know it would have been displayed to the forum users and the world at large? Mr. P Wig I have become!
Regards P.Wig (Alias Col)

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Changing Your Username

Don't forget that if you do want to change your username on the forum. It's pretty straightforward to do so.

Just send me an e-mail with your old name and your new name and I will take care of things.

Glenliman

VOC Member
how much ARE you paying for that sort of abuse??

AND....is she good - looking??

And is she the kind of girl who...well, you wouldnt bring her home to Mother....but Father would approve?

MM

The usual budget constraints ruled out any attractive female, so unfortunately HE is rather unattractive.
Now that I have found this forum though, I can get that monkey off my back!:)

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?