the new Matchless

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So, a clothing company buys a defunct motorcycle brand to launch a niche fashion label. Oh, and they've had someone make a couple of retro-bikes as a publicity exercise, to launch their fashion collection

highbury731

VOC Member
The A.M.C. Boys are not amused!!

The engine / transmission look like standard US custom component sets (sounds distinctly like a contradiction in terms), forks are rather Harley Springer-esque, and the cycle parts recent (but not cutting edge) retro style. It's all a pastiche of US retro fashion images, with US parts.

Why get an Italian to do this? Yanks do Yank style better. Get an Italian to do Italian style. Or a Brit to do it. Hmm, radical, get a Brit to design a motorcycle.

Perhaps even something to ride, you know, go out on the road to go somewhere!

And back!

highbury731

VOC Member
Some time ago, probably the mid '80s, I read a Motorcycle Sport article about a 7R owner who decided to make use of his (genuine) 7R engine spares, and made a V twin motor. He built a bike round it for road use. I don't remember many details, but it seemed like a sound bike. Typical Brit approach, practical not stylised. I wish I had the article to hand