The Most Original Black Lightning on the Planet?

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As John knows that is a bit of a trick question as the "C" breather was discontinued on this very bike!

That is quite the enclosed model behind the Lightning!

David
Actually, no I didn't know that. I just remembering asking Bill if it was supposed be there.

litnman

VOC Member
How many have NOS 20" and 21" racing tyres. I got these from Franc Trento who had two sets.
Avon Racing Tires.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
They will certainly look the part in the museum on a racing Vincent motorcycle but to use them or even fit them will be difficult and the rubber cracking with age. Getting 20" rear tires is more problematic than a front, my daughters "A" Rap was originally fitted with 20" & 21" tires when we got it in 1969 as it was all set up for racing, I only just fitted a 21" WM4 rim and tire to the rear from a 19" TT100. so only carry one size inner tube !

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Ernst, that does set a standard, I have all the parts necessary to start my Lightning but it won't have a Works Order Form like yours but will have all original factory parts, previous machine registrar Gordon thinks it could have been a Cooper car eng ine as it only has matching HRD c/case numbers. The dilemma is what forks to fit for best handling, Brampton's or modified girdraulics with concentric bottom links?
bananaman.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Marcus, my dear fellow, there can be no doubt as to which forks to fit. Even Tim (the Vibrac man) is fitting the JE steering head to his latest twin racer. Note also that ali steering head castings, in both styles, as well as the JE mod, are now, or will soon, be available in ali giving a total weight saving around the steering head of about ten pounds weight.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
That settles it then I have another alloy head yoke and that will leave me the Brampton's to make up the series"B" 500 Meteor, just need a set of HRD cases and can swap two sets of "C" cases for them, if anyone has a set let me know, please on hear or PM also O.S. Rep inside cover of MPH. Thanks TT
bananaman.

litnman

VOC Member
I like the Remark: "Show finish as far as possible". Was it prepared as a show model?
Avon 350-20 tires are available. I recently purchased two for projects.