• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

The most original Lightning on the planet?

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Great pictures, thank you.
Note: To me it looks like the pipes are side by side at this time of racing...
Correct. Note the wos, where it says: " exhaust: low exhaust" this was due to its sidecar use without banking
with solo use.

Little Honda

VOC Member
Amazing that someone with racing experience would think that the sprung rear end was a disadvantage for sure he can never have raced in the rain against ridged bikes. In my experience, that is when the RFM really comes into its own.
Still think of how long it took Trials riders to get the sprung rear end message there is a lot of inertia in clubroom attitudes and I think even more back then and earlier for instance after all my wifes 1925 EW Douglas has an automatic oil pump but it would not sell without a swichable separate circuit and a manual pump because that was the perceived method .
Matching comparison timewise

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Who was the Brave lad riding, Standing up on the rests, With the forks right down !.
Super Shot.

genedn

VOC Member
Ernst, that does set a standard, I have all the parts necessary to start my Lightning but it won't have a Works Order Form like yours but will have all original factory parts, previous machine registrar Gordon thinks it could have been a Cooper car eng ine as it only has matching HRD c/case numbers. The dilemma is what forks to fit for best handling, Brampton's or modified girdraulics with concentric bottom links?
bananaman.
banana man,

Is it the case that cooper car engines were not necessarily dispatched with engine numbers stamped on them? I have a set of early B cases with mating number only. They appear not to have any correct engine number stamped.

Best.

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I am pretty sure Eugene that ALL the engines, whether made of alloy or copper for motorcycles or even Cooper cars would have had engine numbers.....

Just pulling you leg mate!!

genedn

VOC Member
Interesting to see in the early pictures that the bike had dunlop rims on it with painted centres. Much like the regular machines. In the later picture with the current owner it shows the Borani raised edge racing rims. It does not mention anything about Borani in the dispatch sheets.

My impatience when writing coupled with a touch of dyslexia makes for interesting reading.

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
A number of Lightnings are noted as having steel rims in the Denis Minett notebook. Ernst’s bike, having the “Show Finish” notation, perhaps that explains the painted centre.

litnman

VOC Member
How many Lightnings had Borranis, Dunlops alloys or presumably Dunlop steel rims?

Little Honda

VOC Member
Interesting to see in the early pictures that the bike had dunlop rims on it with painted centres. Much like the regular machines. In the later picture with the current owner it shows the Borani raised edge racing rims. It does not mention anything about Borani in the dispatch sheets.

My impatience when writing coupled with a touch of dyslexia makes for interesting reading.
When RC3548 was raced on presentation runs over the last years, it had some alterations fm original, which
made it more reliable and easier to ride: Modern tyres and rims instead original 20"/21" like now, home made
clutch instead original, electronic ignition instead manual racing mag, Bing carbs 32mm instead original Amal
TTs, Girdraulics instead Bramptons, like now, 2 front heads instead one front plus one rear, as delivered and like
now, different handle bar, been replaced by original now, 2 rear springs plus damper, instead 3 springs without
as original. Also, the original shadow clock with 250kph dial was not fitted up to now.
Ernst will also fit the original low exhaust system, which did not allow the kickstarter, which he had fitted up to
now, to remain independent fm electricity supply in the paddocks for paddock starter.
I personally regret, that it has been taken out of its life on track as a strong performer, outcompeting many
other stronger and more modern machines, never breaking down, never swimming in oil, and never being
dangerous to ride - just unforgettable!

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Ernst will also fit the original low exhaust system, which did not allow the kickstarter, which he had fitted up to now
It may have been originally fitted with an exhaust system that allowed a kickstarter. The factory records have “RHKS”, which may mean right hand kickstart.

litnman

VOC Member
If the B&W had Borrani's, what did the Rollie record bike have? B&W's looks like Dunlop to me.
B&W vs Rollie F.jpg

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?