The Most Original Black Lightning on the Planet?

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, that is something to ponder over. Another one - hard to tell for sure, but that looks like the "Vincent HRD Co Ltd" Mercury Crest. I would have expected that bike to have the "Vincent Engineers" type.

I wonder how many photos are in the whole set from that day. The bike was switched from one side against the tree to the other side. Is there a side on view that shows the exhaust pipe side?

I have a photo of the exhaust side, but was asked not to share it. I'll see if I can use photoshop to expunge the image in question and replace it with a tree branch or a big fig leaf.

vibrac

VOC Member
I couldn't use my 2" pipes after a few meetings, They touched down to easy, But I loved the sound.
If I get my 560 sorted, I will run it with a standard pipe and silencer.
But if it's a good en, I hope to find my front 2" pipe and get Armours to build me a a silencer to match.
I raced my Black Flash for a bit with the 2", Made it sound fast :) .
Yes Bill I think 2" pipes are for looks only. Not only are they a tad too large for the power they are also no good at all with modern racing rubber, (My Flash has one but I am no longer a scratcher) For racing we find that however close you tuck them in they ground out under the timing cover fortunatly it seems that the ACU sump catch tank regulations say the tank must hold "the contents of the sump" which I guess (unlike the rice rockets nowadays) is only about half a cup of oil. so we are hoping to take the pipes down the centerline of the cases under the shallow tray .( Regulations say no high level pipes)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I was never much of a scratcher, Can't stand Pain !, But when I made my 2" Pipes I thought there was no way they would touch down, I held the Bike over and there was plenty gap left,
But first race first corner, Donnington, Redgate corner, She touched.
But no problem with the Black Flash.

vibrac

VOC Member
With the twin the front is anoying but the clutch side can really cause a problem as it can lift the rear wheel

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe Ben uses 18" wheels ?.
I can't see me touching on the flash, Unless I fell OFF !

Attachments

• scan0001 (5).jpg
    scan0001 (5).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 18

Somer

VOC Member
Vincent didn't use the "Engineers" Mercury crest too long. I think they switched back in ~52. Probably ran out and decided to use up older stock.