ET: Engine (Twin) The most miserable task

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And with a Comet and one of the new Chicago Section Gasket one only has to undo the screws etc. With a twin the exhaust system has to be removed as well which is more of a pain in the posterior.

deejay499

VOC Member
The other miserable task is putting another brake drum on. It was particularly hard when I had 13” wheels on! Patience and skinned knuckles being the order of the day.

vibrac

VOC Member
Or installing the earlier type fuel tank with the small cut away on your own, Oh and with 3/4 of a tank full of fuel................:cool:.
After the debarcle of the pushrod I struggled with the carb cable and the tank after half an hour I realised I had the small cutaway tank from the Comet not the large cutaway from the twin .
Perhaps its time I had a Red Comet....

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The easy method I found to fit the tank on my Shadow with a small cutaway is:
Disconnect the fuel pipe from the front carb. Then undo the carb clamp bolt, mark the carb & manifold with felt pen so later on it goes back on at the same angle and slide the carb off and let it drop down still with the cables attached. Put a cut down sock over the oil tank neck to protect the fuel tank paint and then put the tank on. You can manouver the cables such as clutch etc as the carb is out the way. Once the tank is on refit the carb and remove sock from the oil filler neck. Takes not much longer than it took type this out.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I know there is a drive to ban plastic, but without any doubt the best way to protect a fuel tank when fitting over the oil filler neck is a cut down plastic drinks bottle, choose one with parallel sides, remove the top and bottom whilst also cutting to the desired length, slit vertically and join back together using electrical insulation tape making it a tight fit round the oil filler neck, IMHO a far superior method than using a smelly old sock, or even a new one. Once used you can tuck it away in your designated Vincent toolbox for future use.