The loss of visibility

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
All new tin boxes in UK will have a 'lights on with ignition' from this month so its goodbye for the visibility advantage for modern motor cycles and for those of the old bike brigade who like to light up.
I hate the lights on with ignition on my BMW not only does it reduce the amps on startup (and there are precious few of them to spare on a modern boxer) but on a bumpy road I am afraid I may be mistaken for flashing as a pull out signal.
You can see whats coming as the idiot 'lights on' effect spreads "I did not see him" will have the added phrase "and he didn't have his lights on!" forget the fact it was broad daylight and the rider had a hi res jacket.
This is stealth legislation from the EU. It knows that the UK government wont legislate lights on for 'Green reasons' (Its an ill wind...) and the fact its safety effect is not proven, so it uses the 'old level playing field' trick all EU cars must conform.
Is there one shred of evidence that lights on for cars will save any lives?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Day time running lights are a recent thing here also. While I do believe some devices and practices do aid/enhance safety I also believe it is sometimes done either to aid revenue generation for municipalities or convince constituents that their legislator is doing something about something.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Paul Goff sells 6 and 12 volt 23 watt QH sidelights to use as running lights. I've fitted them to two bikes now. In visibility terms it's as good as running with headlamps on. (In fact they're much better than the headlights on some of the bikes I cut my teeth on!) They cost £4 each. The only caveat is that they can only be used in metal sidelight holders: they generate too much heat for plastic ones.

Jorgen Rutegard

VOC Member
Ask the Swedish?
Well, I see no problems with headlights on in daytime. My impression is that other motorists notice me much better. I turn it on it when riding Vincent, and use it of course when riding BMW boxer, where it turns on with ignition.
A safety reflecting vest, or modern gear with reflecting yellow fields, contributes further to visibility and safety. Self-evident.

Cheers
Jörgen

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I agree that it should be self evident but I'm not sure that it is self evident to other road users that they should notice bright yellow reflective material, headlights on during the day, etc.. I have a modulating headlight on my main beam, it auto dips to 70% power then returns to full 10 times a minute, I have auxillary flashing brakes lights, a modern armoured riding jacket that is made up of bright yellow reflective material, and a white helmet to top it off. I've still been struck by a car. I was stopped in front of a woman at a red light, she had stopped for the light. The car next to us moved forward slightly, light hadn't changed, driver just moved forward a little. Not a big deal. The woman behind decided that was an invitation to drag race or something because the next thing I know my bike was lurching forward towards the large delivery truck I was stopped behind. " I saw that other car move forward so I thought the light was green" was all she had to say. I've just got a new piece of gear, a wireless helmet brake light. It comes with a little transmitter that wires into you brakelight circuit and sends a signal that is recieved by the unit on your helmet. If it makes one idiot notice me before they do something stupid it will be worth it. But I also realize that we can have all the safety equipment on that we choose or that is mandated, but to the moronic we always have been and always will be invisible. So I ride like I'm invisible, inspite of the reflective material and lights, and everybody around me is a blind moron bent on my destruction.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
During the 1977 Shadow Lake Rally in Canada I was stopped by a police patrol car and told I should be riding with headlight on in daylight.This was going to be problem for me as my dynamo was not charging at the time.The officer told me the rule only applied to motorcycles registered after 1970 so I replied that it did not apply to my machine. "Why" he asked "How old is this?" "1951" I replied. He then spotted my"GB" sticker. "You're from England? "Yes, we've come over for a huge Vincent International Rally". "How did you get it here, by sea?" "No, it was flown over in the belly of a Boeing 747 along with thirty or so similar machines." "Unbelievable, tell this man" (a local press reporter). So we had to relate the whole story about the Vincent movement and how a rather unique motorcycle brought had so many nations together in rural Ontario.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Ask the Swedish?
Well, I see no problems with headlights on in daytime. My impression is that other motorists notice me much better.

Thats the point, they will see you untill in a few years all the lights go on on all the cars then.....
who sees the sparrow in a flock of starlings?