The inner sanctum

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The main problem is that people think things are worth more than they really are. The cost to totally restore a Comet is not really much less than a twin, and this is easy to forget. It is not hard to spend 20k plus to restore a twin.......Get where I'm coming from. But as Alyn said, if you can pick it up for 12 to 15k max, you wont be disappointed. Looks like you are doing a great job, and great photos to boot. Cheers for now.......Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Brian, I think Albervin is about right, The trouble is the selling price of a RFM and an UFM + Forks, Petrol tank etc as they are now is so high. But we all know it will cost loads to rebuild. I think what ever you pay it will upset someone. Good luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
15k ! thats out of touch with the cost of parts I would say 10K max. Hells teeth its a good clean sorted Comet to get for 15K despite all the tries in adverts for 20K or more. Ask yourself this: How many other immaculate 500cc singles from the 50's cost 15K! whatever you read here ( and I race two) the Comet aint the best card in the 500 one lung pack.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Over 15 years ago, I bought a Comet in that condition- except that it was stored in a leaky shed that doubled as a chicken coop. It took me 3 steam cleans to get all the sh*t and feathers off - and some more cleaning work after that. I then removed a couple of covers and found it pristine inside. So I purged all fluids, changed perished rubber items, renewed some cables, swapped the mag for a restored one - and attended to a few other items I have long since forgotten; then pressed it in to service as my year-round commuting/shopping bike. The only problem was it smoked when leaving the traffic lights - so I ignored it (the smoke that is, not the light). It is still in use to this day and has NEVER let me down - and it still smokes, it leaks, its rusty, its dented, its devoid of paint in many places and I love it to bits.

Restore it or cannibalise it? Why? Besides, it's still capable of carrying 4 people ;)

Start at $8 - you might get a bargain. Consider buying both of them; the pain of the hole in the bank account will soon diminish...
Comet LDA111 007.jpg
Image 68.jpg

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Albervin

VOC Member
Start at $8! That would be a steal even for Vibrac :) The problem here in Australia is lack of choice and cost of shipping parts in. As I said, $10-12K is the going rate but maybe $15-16K for both. Lovely photo Peter. As our dollar drops it will increase the price of local stuff as people factor in exchange rates and shipping. Two years ago a £10,000 bike was less than $15,000, now it is over $18,000.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Peter, I take strong exception to your figures! On a slightly inebriated Saturday night in Bairnsdale, my eldest brother (of loving memory) ferried six people down the main street after the cinema ended. He was riding a Comet. It was 1959.

nkt267

VOC Member
I got my comet in a very similar condition in '69 for nowt.
About 12 years ago I spent about £4000 to get it into a nice condition. My wages have risen about 60% since then so if the spares have risen in relation a rebuild for parts only could cost you close to £7000...John

G

Graham Smith

…it still smokes, it leaks, its rusty, its dented, its devoid of paint in many places and I love it to bits.

It sounds like my Series 'B' Meteor. It's the worst looking out of all my bikes, but it's also my favourite!