The inner sanctum

Brian Thompson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Everyone,
I've been busily building/restoring the Gold star for my mate.
But what I'm writing about is I finally got into his brothers inner sactum. Under the house in a locked room/garage. Under there I found ( not that it was lost ) between two MG TC cars is a 1951 Comet. I had been skeeming to get a look under there for several years now. I have taken photo's and will need to get them off my phone. The bike was purchased by him in 1960 in a wash house for 10 pounds. It was road worthy till it stopped in 1967 (Magneto fault) the year the registration run out. It shows about 16,000 miles on the clock. Its covered in about a 1/4 inch of dust and some corrosion of alloy parts. Now the hard part. I have been working on my mate to buy it off his brother. There in lies the problem. How much does he offer for it?
It needs a total restoration. And I don't know when I'll get around to it,but at least it's complete and I'd get an idea where all the parts should go.
So if you don't mind? What do you think is a reasonable price for the machine?
I'll try and get some photo's on here to help with your assessment.
Cheers
brt650

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
This is probably the best overall picture I could get.
048.jpg
031.jpg

Albervin

VOC Member
As you are in Newcastle I would offer him 10 Tonne of coal. Seriously, a good road-going Comet with matching numbers is worth about $22-25K in Australia. Work back from there and you get a "value" of about $10-12K tops. If the insides are OK (and that is a big IF) then you could end up with a nice Comet for $16-18K.

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Thank you Albervin for your reply.
It's amazing really how many bikes like this are still about. I forgot to mention he has 2 of these's. The other in pieces. I did see a tank and RFM laying down there but didn't think anything of it till my mate said he has 2 Comets.
Cheers
brt650

Albervin

VOC Member
Mmmm. Late 1948/49 engine. There is always the new Terry Prince billet frame. He is just down the road from you.