The future of biking

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For those of you who worry about motorcycles as we know them being banned, you may be interested to know that I took my first ride on a "Zero" electric bike yesterday. We will be selling them in a few months time.
The experience was nerve racking in the anticipation of how controllable the bike would be. I swallowed hard, turned the key to "on" and nothing happened!
Lifted the side stand turned off the kill switch and gingerly opened the twist grip. Within 50 yards all concerns were gone, it was so controllable.
Onto the open road and getting used to no clutch and no gears was far easier than I expected. The bike felt superbly planted with great ride quality and swingability.
With growing confidence I changed from Eco mode to Custom mode which sharpens up the response. Following a car along a country road I decide it was time to go for the overtake and twisted the grip. Wow, what a fantastic response the acceleration was electrifying (pun intended). This model was the lower powered restricted licence model (11KW) but the acceleration was stunning.
Lack of noise is not particularly noticeable to the rider because you still get the usual wind roar but when I came upon a cyclist he nearly fell off when I overtook him as he had no idea I was there!
Overall the experience was amazing and reassuring that if the future is electric it will still have all the thrill of motorcycling with even better acceleration than most are used to, I was a happy bunny. Cant wait to try the full power version now.
Of course nothing will ever quite replace the sound of a Vincent on song beneath you, but the future doesn't look so bad anymore.
Bill

P.S. Orders taken now!

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
well You could adopt a anti-anti sound system on it nice to hear an EL vinnie arround.

Would it come to EU as well Bill? and when?

vibrac

VOC Member
No long distance runs anymore
Still following the announcement by Canada's Carbon Engineering about hydrogen/petrol (pollution free) available from atmospheric engines sucking CO2 out of the air I think the demise of the internal combustion engine is greatly exaggerated.
After all in 1895 the 'experts' said London would be waist high in horse manure by 1920 .......

Colin

VOC Member
Take a look at The Palace of Westminster, it is totally engulfed in bull----

Colin

VOC Member
PS What is the actual, practical range of these electric bikes, and how long do they take to recharge, Bill?

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
PS What is the actual, practical range of these electric bikes, and how long do they take to recharge, Bill?
Range is claimed as up to 170miles but average is probably more like 120.
One has recently done Lands end to John O'Groats in 24 hours so long distance is possible with several 90 minute stops on the way.
90 minutes should give 50% charge, overnight 100%, that is with normal three pin plug lead. There is also a much faster charger available.
Bill

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Well at least the range is approaching almost acceptable. At least I can get to and from work on a single charge. I work 23 miles from the house. Last time I checked on e-bike range it was 35 miles and I worked 36 from the house. Salesman suggested that I either take the bike to my desk and charge it for the ride home or drop a power cord out the window. I thought to myself I'm sure my employer is going to go for those options!
I understand that possibly at sometime in the future there might be a need for electric vehicles, more than there is now, but what I don't understand is why all the activists, politicians, advocates, et al, think that parking garages, employers, store owners, owners of shopping malls, etc. should pay for the installation of the infrastructure to charge these vehicles and provide it for free. Now granted some have and I applaud them for it, I know that they probably get some sort of tax break for it, but it seems to me a bit of an imposition to expect it. Though the aforementioned get a tax break I would like to know how that tax break compares to the initial investment. I also understand that it is perk or incentive to work or shop in a certain place, again does the return justify the investment or are we all just drinking the "green" Kool-Aid?
Steven