"The forum design is a complete and utter mess and you can't find anything"

G

Graham Smith

I used to receive a phone call from a gent nearly every week telling what a bunch of useless %$#&&^*@#$$%^ the people running the forum were. After a few minutes I talked him though it but because he didn't then bookmark we went through the same conversation the following week. I was my groundhog hell!!
I bet I can guess who that was!

No matter what, I reckon you'll always get someone who thinks they can do something better, but they rarely roll their sleeves up to get stuck in.

I used to like it at meetings when someone used to say "what we should be doing is…" Everett's response was always on the money.

Denny653

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Earlier on, I had a member of the Club contact me by telephone, and told me that he finds our forum design a complete mess and that's he's unable to find anything.

This I'm particularly interested in, because I'd like to know if other people suffer the same problem?

Halfway though the conversation, he did mention to me that he has a bookmark that he uses to access the forum and that bookmark links to 'What's New' rather than the homepage.

This is what he sees every time he visits…
View attachment 39706

As I explained to him, the trouble with doing this is that it's a bit like opening an encyclopaedia - if you open it right in the middle and don't bother looking at the contents or index, it should come as no surprise that you'll never be able to find what you're looking for.

I've gone to great lengths to ensure at the bottom of each page is a big black footer with a load of links broken down into three distinct categories:
Technical / The Club / Miscellaneous. This footer appears at the bottom of EVERY page wherever you are.
View attachment 39708

Interestingly, during our conversation, this guy mentioned that he could't find the Club's Riders' Roll of Honour recipients, but when I visited the Home Page, I'm presented with a certificate which links to all of our recipients.
View attachment 39707

I'm not sure how much longer our forum will last as it currently stands, but if any one has any suggestions on what I can tell this guy, or how I can improve the navigation, then I'd really appreciate it.
Graham, you will never please everyone. I am new to Vincent motorcycles, but I have a 50 year jistory. With H-D's, BMW's, and a Ducati. I have needed guidance with my Shadow, and the members of the club have really treated me well. Have a question? Just ask.