The Fast Lady

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
About 8 years ago I purchased a racing Vincent kneeler from South England. I was then told it was built by Malcolm Attrill and called The Fast Lady. I've been trying as much of her past history as possible as from her condition she has had many adventures. I've managed to contact Len Stevens who purchased her from Malcolm and he has managed to fill in some of the gaps and also Nick Cutmore, who last raced her in the UK, also has helped out with some info. What I would appreciate is if anyone who knows anything about this machine, or possibly has any old photos of her, if they could contact me through the forum. I know malcolm built a few kneeler race outfits, all called The Fast Lady, as well as his earlier roaded based outfit, currently owned by Eddie Wallbank, but my one has 10" mini wheels on the rear and sidecar but a 16" wheel on the front I have inclued a couple of images below as she is now. Please note that the last owner installed a unit motor but she obviously originally had a chopped motor as there were AMC gearbox mounts on the frame. Despite trying to make her as original. I haven't had the heart to cut up this engine! All help is much appreciated. Cheers David

Attachments

• The Fast Lady_1.jpg
    The Fast Lady_1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 169
  • The Fast Lady_2.jpg
    The Fast Lady_2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 172
  • The Fast Lady_3.jpg
    The Fast Lady_3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
With all the original aficionados around it shouldn't be to hard to swap a whole engine for a chopped one and gearbox....

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Hi , i will get some photos of the Fast Lady as i know Betty has quite a few of the fast lady and upload them when i get the chance to pop down and see my aunty.
Very much appreciated Tony. Be fantastic to see images of the era. As you probably know, this Fast Lady is still competing after all these years and is a real tribute to both Malcolm & Betty.
Cheers David

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Here are a few pictures from the 2003 Vincent Rally at Harrison Hot Springs British Columbia. This is the road version I think.

Attachments

• Vincent Rally 2003 002.jpg
    Vincent Rally 2003 002.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Vincent Rally 2003 016.jpg
    Vincent Rally 2003 016.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 96

timetraveller

VOC Member
I knew Malcolm and Betty for years, although I was never a close friend. From memory there were six "Fast Ladies" ranging from fast road bikes to serious racers. Always beautifully prepared. I was at their house one evening when John Rewick arrived so I think that there was a bit of cross fertilisation of ideas going on.

sallyc62

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Malcolm was my uncle he had a number of 'fast ladies' built from scratch with his own fair hands. There is a road bike outfit still on the road I believe . I saw it at one of the last Wings and Wheels at Dunsfold looked immaculate with some tasteful mods - brakes etc to make it safe for todays motoring and riding all round the world I think that might be with John R possibly but may have misremembered the name. Before Malc could avoid a transit van he used to tow his race bikes behind his road side car outfit.

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi, It's great to hear that Betty is still with us. I used to visit their "Small holding" near Crawley which was an old railway carriage on a Foden steam lorry Chassis plus extra brick built facilities. They had a cow, goats, ducks and chickens. Their bikes were always immaculate and went very well. In 1986 I purchased a number of parts from Malcolm for the beginning of my Egli Racer build.
Please say Hello for me.
Regards Roy