The Clutch on my Comet

Gerry Jenkinson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
NKT267, "Also you are using 5 friction plates not 4 aren't you,as mine slipped with 4 but only when lubricated.John"

Thank You, I think you have it. I had been pondering the number of plates.
As received it had 4 friction plates. Asking around I was told some have 4 and some 5 so 4 was correct.
I initially tried 5 but the outer was almost on the edge of the basket so I assembled it with 4.
Disassembled it all yesterday, washed it with petrol and fitted the fifth plate with a 'thin' plain plate. It will now kickover. I didnt have time to do more than run it on the hill, dry, when it worked flawlessly.
The springs are the original ones so will bear your thoughts in mind.
Next weekend I will add oil........

Gerry

bengunnhrd

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
V3 clutch.

Where did you get the dished plate from?
The mini exhaust valve dodge first appeared in FYO, probably 20 years ago. I've never had to use it, but it's interesting to see that it is still effective!

Tom, i bought it from a company i think was called Veloce enginering but i can`t remember the details. I had to buy a complete set of plates they would not sell it separately, but i understand that new clutches come with the dished plate. Has i mentioned it works, but how ?.

Gerry Jenkinson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It's possible that you have a Matchless clutch in the bike.I got a proper 5 plate centre from here www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/index.html
(45 euros) and I have a spare one if you need dimesions to check your own against..John
Thanks John.
I have now filled to level with ATF and all is well. No slipping and changing quietly. So 5 pates seems to be the answer. Actually the recommendations I received for "how many" varied from 4 to 5 to 6.
Funny how when you fix one thing another fails, the tail light has just gone out, not the bulb (its an LED). The wiring is not pretty and the insulation has hardened so a rewire is next.
Thanks again
gerry