Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 07.52.16.jpg
Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 07.52.27.jpg
Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 07.52.41.jpg
Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 07.52.52.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Don't get straight seat stay lugs confused with short RFM's, series B RFM's etc as you can get a longer intermediate RFM which has the later removable rear brake abutment for use on singles and twins but still has the straight seat stay brackets. Also all of the design changes to the RFM in 1949 had nothing to do with series B or C as the design changes were subjected to both B & C at the same time.

Also there is no such thing as a shorter series B RFM as the first 4 months of series C bikes were also fitted with the earlier type RFM so the B tag is wrong even though we all use it. Just the same when assuming the curved sear stay RFM is series C when the last 8 months production of series B machines used the curved seat stay RFM.

The prototype B Meteor & C Comet were produced in late 1948 and had used some strange fittings to get round the RFM problem (and others) at the time. It was then 9 months later that the first production singles were made which gave the factory time to sort all these problems out.

Also the increase in length of the RFM had nothing to do with any of the above. The reason for that was the introduction of the Black Lightning which used a larger 20" diameter rear wheel whch meant the tyre got dangerously close to the front of the mudguard, especially at speed hence the factory took the oppotunity to lengthen the RFM at the same time as the other changes. This meant the assembly jigs needed alterning and so the older shorter design could no longer be made which is why the changes were introduced across the whole production range at the same time.

Simon

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Thank you, Simon, we learn every day on here of new things and different ways of doing things, it's like going to a meeting every day, with stories like Hugo Myatts first Vincent.
I'm trying to make up for all the International, National & local meetings I've missed being away at sea all my working life only because I didn't want to move away from home like the rest of my siblings did. As our location is second to none but at least 500 miles round trip to any national meeting with 250 miles back and forth during my apprenticeship days, it's a good job I enjoy riding, I think it's what got me out of bed every morning to thrush up to Plymouth daily as no other bikers could keep up with Harvey and myself meeting up at the services at the bottom of M6 when he came from London making sure we weren't running on the same registrations, (we couldn't always afford the tax, fueled up and headed for Liverpool ferry passing all the other bikers occasionally the odd biker tried to keep up but after a few miles dropped behind, sometimes suddenly! Happy days.
bananaman.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now Marcus I would have thought you were a A303 man....
and would avoid M roads like the plague (or COV19)

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
I am definitely an A303 man after travelling it every weekend for five years to London or A38 north for rallies then down to London after Lancs & Chesher section had club nights on a Friday and use to leave HMD Devonport 16:30 and be Denton Manchester to Bob Richie's 21:30 to 22:30 and follow him to the beer shop where they would all be playing games of some sort or another. next day back down to London but the northerners always said up-to London didn't quite get that unless they held the map unsidedown !

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Every one goes up to London (except we always called it the Smoke) I just realised I dont think I have been there for well over ten years and honestly cant think of any reason to ever go again. Back in the day gong through London was our way to Brands Hatch. When I was about 10 in the summer before 'big school' I went up to the Science Museum on the train by myself from the end of the Metropolitan line, I doubt you would do that nowadays (actually my Dad told me years later he shadowed me all day).

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
The first time my dad went to London he told in in adulthood that he never had so much fun without laughing!