The best set up? Tips on how to rebuild an un-matching Rapide, All input welcome!

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That's clever, Trev', So does that mean, Once it's running it uses a lot less, Just like a distributor ? Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On rebuilding a non matching Rapide . FIRST you ignore the fact that it's unmatched . We never cared about that in the early days . Just did the job and rode the beast , fast . Was never even mentioned among owners til the cash value reared it's ugly head .
PEI designed us a tool , meant to carry its rider far and fast , safely . And with a certain style . Nothing else mattered . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On the ignition advance above 3000 rpm . It's probably all in , fully advanced . Need for any retard has vanished from that point up . Sid .

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Complete clutch solution - Belt drive

Dear All,
as you know am pretty free as i dont have much of the engine internals and i 've no clutch/primary transmission components, then i was may be thinking at this complete solution offered by Bob Newby.

As you can see from the picture and as many of you might know ( i just discover this last week) he offer a complete set wich includes, the belt, front pulley, cluthc basket plus multiplate clutch and dinamo pully.

I like the solution as the belt offer normally a smoother ride and is quiter, but i'm not quite coinvincent of the system for a vincent.

1) how to tension the belt if not of the perfect lenght as the vincent gearbox is in bloc?

2) it doesnt fit in a notmal primary cover ( but i ve already one to wich the clutch compartement has been cut off, so i could eventually further modify it to accept the larger bigger front pully and larger dynamo pully.

3) the dynamo pully seems to work only on one or two theet. (but also the normal sproket does..)

he offers the kit in two ratio, i think 1: 1,8 and 1: 1,6, wich would be more closer to the orginal?

Any experience with that?

Thanks!
Eddie

vincent_twin.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
I have have belt drive on both my comets and had one one the racing egli as well
dont worry about the tension on a twin Bob gets it right and on the single once it set you never have to alter the gearbox again (imagine that -wonderful) simple test if you can just twist the belt 90 degrees its right
I change my belts every season they are cheap enought in comparison but on the racing comet with chain and no oil bath I was getting through a primary at least twice in a season

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Thanks,
Indeed i've found a lot in the forum! and appraentrly there is also a Dutch member who made some covers for it.. i've contacted him, will see..
I think this is most probably be my primary side solution,
Eddie