The best set up? Tips on how to rebuild an un-matching Rapide, All input welcome!

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not sure, But I thought you could ride for about 3 to 4 hours on a standard "D", With no charging ? Cheers Bill.

Depends on battery and coil, but you're probably right. I use an 8 Amp/hr battery, so I ought to have about 3 hours, D coil ignition probably less demanding. Electrics not my strong point, but it may also depend on speed - "Sorry officer I was trying to get home before the battery went flat" :)

H

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
The ammeter on my 'D' shows a discharge of about 2 - 3 amps when the points are shut but only about one amp if the engine is running and no charging connected. The ammeter is an analogue device so I am not sure exactly how well it can be trusted but as the points are only closed, and thus taking current, for a short part of each duty cycle, one amp equivalent continuous drain does not seem unreasonable. A good condition 8 amp battery should therefore just about be able to keep you going for eight hours, provided that brake lights, indicators or normal lights are not used. The big advantage of a 'D' distributor system is that it can be serviced by most of us while electronic systems require either skills or equipment which most of us do not have.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
advance curve

dear All,
I think then now the choice would be eventually be for me between Pazon electronic igntion and bth mag.
I know mag might be a less accurate device and that there are also some bad report on the new bth, but i still like the idea of beeing independent from battery, coils, generators etc...
so the question is now about the two advance curve, if the one offered by the bth is still acceptable and provides good performance at low engine speed as per the Pazon,
here the two diagrams (grey background is for bth, withe background pazon) the RPH and degrees are indicated inversely on the diagramm:

http://bt-h.biz/mk2_advance_curve.htm
http://www.pazon.com/ignition-system/smart-fire-vincent-vtwin-twinplug (then click on features)

BTH mk2adv.jpgPazon smart fire.jpg

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Start from the beginning and if your bearing are tight in the bore..... bolt it together around the crank and see if it is free spinning.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
dear All,
I think then now the choice would be eventually be for me between Pazon electronic igntion and bth mag.
I know mag might be a less accurate device and that there are also some bad report on the new bth, but i still like the idea of beeing independent from battery, coils, generators etc...

I've always used mags only on my bikes, only ever got stranded once on a Vincent, when the ATD lost some teeth !! But since fitting a new BTH on my 1948 B Rapide, starting is a doddle and it ticks over like clockwork with 105 cams, TT carbs and 9:1 pistons !! It even has started once or twice when just turning the engine over with the valve lifter !!