The Battle of Britain

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
That´s it, seen at Kassel-Calden 4 Years ago at the Wheels and Wings meeting with racing at the old airfield
there. They got the Lufthansa JU 52 a week ago at Paderborn Lippstadt to be put into the Quax-Hangar (after a known film with late German actor Heinz Rühmann in "Quax, der Bruchpilot"). The JU was grounded after the crash of the Swiss JU in the alps some years ago. The airport Paderborn Lippstadt went bankrupt a month ago and will possibly continue as an aerodrome in the future, hopefully.

Attachments

• 2230.JPG
    2230.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 20
  • 2233.JPG
    2233.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 23

vibrac

VOC Member
Padderborn is the airfield near to Hamlin (town of pied piper fame) I worked there a few years ago its old town is really quaint with medieval streets and timbered buildings, walking to the hotel one night with a German colleague I remarked how well preserved the buildings were.
"Yes" he said "The Lancasters did not get here"

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Padderborn is the airfield near to Hamlin (town of pied piper fame) I worked there a few years ago its old town is really quaint with medieval streets and timbered buildings, walking to the hotel one night with a German colleague I remarked how well preserved the buildings were.
"Yes" he said "The Lancasters did not get here"
I worked there 39 years ago and went there 2 weeks ago for a memorial tour to see old places. Some fotos
of this trip. Hameln has a long flourmilling history, over 1000years. None of them is still in operation. The
red building is a mill, built in 1890, now hosting the library of Hameln and a good restaurant with the old
generator and mechanics of the old 1889 hydropower plant. Lots of technical drawings on the walls.
The yellow building was - at my time - the fifth largest flour mill in Germany, processing 850metric tons per day,
now sold to some investors since 2015. The grain silo on the other foto for 30.000tons grain.
Last foto: Passing the river Weser 40 miles south at Grohnde with the old ferry, run only by the flow of the
river Weser.
Day´s end at the Tonenburg, Hoexter, a most recommendable motorcyclists hotel in a 12th century castle -
nice and cheap!

Attachments

• Weserreise Pfortmühle auf dem Ostufer.jpg
    Weserreise Pfortmühle auf dem Ostufer.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Weserreise Wehr Pfortmühle Niedrigwasser.jpg
    Weserreise Wehr Pfortmühle Niedrigwasser.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Weserreise Wesermühle 9.2020.jpg
    Weserreise Wesermühle 9.2020.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Weserreise Wesermühlen Getreidesilo.jpg
    Weserreise Wesermühlen Getreidesilo.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Weserreise Zur Fähre Grohnde.jpg
    Weserreise Zur Fähre Grohnde.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 14

oexing

VOC Member
Some clarification about Me 109 if you don´t mind: Only for the first test aircraft a Rolls-Royce Kestrel 700 hp V 12 was utilized as no DB 600 engine was ready for installation in 1935. The second aircraft had the Junkers Jumo 210 , inverted fuel injected V 12 like the DB 600 series as the 109 was designed for inverted V 12 engines from the beginning.
The upright Merlin engine ruined the perfect lines of the Me 109 post war but for the Spanish version Buchon no more DB engines or Jumos were available in the fifties so no other choices at that time. Have a look at the two videoclips below for comparison Buchon - Me 109 , that is Merlin vs. DB 605 , sounds very different .
One trouble spot on the Merlin today may come at no surprise to Vincenteers, wear on cams and followers: Judging from the photos the Merlin "fingers" were drilled to supply oil to the cams but as was learned from the past this idea is not as great as hoped and no hardchroming would help much when the drilling arrives at a spot of highest load: Any "lubrication" hole there wrecks the oil film wedge that may have built . Either you provide oil jets onto cams or have the camshaft drilled all along and have holes on cams right before lift begins.
In consequence I welded up all holes in the cam followers and have all oil go into the camshafts with extra flow in there. Hoping for some oil coming down along the pushrods and finding its way into these holes in a flying follower is wishful thinking.
The DB 600 series like the Jumos and Allisons all had roller followers for this reason so at least no headache here, don´t know about other weaknesses in these engines.

Vic

Merlin Buchon 109 clip
Buchon video

Me 109 DB 605 video:
Me 109 DB 605 video

Merlin fingers:
Merlin fingers cams.jpg

Merlin fingers.jpg

DB 605 roller followers:
DB 605 rollers.jpg

DB 605 camshaft.jpg

Welded follower:
P1050514.JPG

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Thank you both for yr historical documentation! The films are brilliant in technique and style. Detail fotos, too.
This combination of DB605 with Spitfire to me has a certain similarity to the Norvin idea. It has been an intermediate step to the ultimate Prop Fighter Plane, the TA154 of Focke-Wulf, the fastest prop driven aircraft
of all time.
Must hear that sound again....

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Oexing,
with yr cam follower mod you are in the wear centre of the engine! PEI describes in one of his books, that they
had a glassed timing cover on a test engine during development, to observe lubrication there. He mentioned,
that they had visible sparking at high revs!
Years ago, I asked myself when watching the pulsing oil flow into my oil tank, if these pulses also appear at the
cam followers. If so, it can be asumed, that not every time, the oil comes out in the right position of the cam, ie,
when being under the cam follower. There is quite a wide arc, when oil may come out of the cam and dissapear
into the lower crankcase with zero lubrication to the cam.
Thinking, that the pulse comes out when the oil pump is at tdc, I did a calculation, how many revs the crank
has to make, to see the cam in the perfect position to lubricate the camfollower. I do not remember in detail,
but it was something in the sixties! That means , the majority of pulses fail their duty!

Colin

VOC Member
Michael(s) Both of them.!
Some years back we had a super rally at Tonenburg, and some stayed in the Motorcyclist Hotel.
Would love to go back again