THAT'S PROGRESS (OH YEAH?)

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a 1938 Meteor which runs as well as it did when it was new. It has had a few repairs, a few new parts, been out in the cold and wet, fallen over occasionally, passed through a few owners. I can still get support for it in the sense that I or others can repair it , and I can still buy spare parts, for it. It is sound and solid, reliable, worth very substantially more than it cost when new, beautiful to look at and handle. IT STILL HAS THE SAME OPERATING SYSTEM IT HAD WHEN NEW I also have a computer about 8 years old, it also has had the odd repair, no new parts, never been out in the cold or wet, never fallen over, and I am the one careful owner.I CAN'T get support for the operating system (Oh NO sir we don't,support XP any longer it is very old!) It is worth nothing, looks like crap and handles like any other computer c--p. So I have had to buy another THAT'S PROGRESS. After ordering it I chased up delivery ON THE PHONE, after going through endless menus I was finally advised to GO ON OUR WEB SITE TO CHECK PROGRESS!!! How in the name of B----y H--l do that when I am awaiting a poxy computer to be delivered THAT'S PROGRESS (OH YEAH!!)

Williegunn

Non-VOC Member
Just get someone, a young person, to change the operating system. About £100 or £150 should cover it. Might get it done cheaper with non legit discs

Colin

VOC Member
My "young person" computer Guru says my old computer is (was) not powerful enough to run new operating system That,s Progress

Albervin

VOC Member
Settle down Colin. You are comparing a hand made, well designed, well engineered collection of metal parts with a poorly designed, poorly engineered collection of plastic parts assembled by people who are paid a pittance and have absolutely no passion for their product.

highbury731

VOC Member
Replace the dubious, unsupported operating system with a Linux-based one, such as Ubuntu. It is free, and has regular updates. My computer is older than yours.... but my Vin isn't.

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Currently trying to get an Apple iMac to recognise the existence of an external hard disk so that I can back up the data ready for the inevitable crash. I go to the garage and polish the Vin when it all gets too much!!

vibrac

VOC Member
Colin
do you think that all the firms that discovered computers & invested before the last recession will just dump their hundreds of XP based machines?
Get a good anti virus and you should be able to carry on for years.
what does infurate me is the changing of the front end interfaces just at some marketing idiots whim. Its the same operating system and the partner programs Excel and Word etc but they have moved all the icons and controls around and all that hard won knowlege of what to press when has gone.
Can you imagine if all new motorcycles (apart from Indian) moved the twistgrip to the left hand side?
But I suppose they have to do something to appear new, after all windows 8 is just windows 95 which in turn is MSDOS its just as inefficent as it was in 1990 its just been kept going by faster electronics and a planet full of disc space. Higburys right go Linux - I would but I have a garage full to maintain

Prince Duster

VOC Member
I feel the pain, Colin. Computers are great when new. And that's it.
Many years ago, visiting my local early Mac lap top repair man, he tut-tutted over it and said, 'But this is old, you see.'
My 1963 R69S was ticking over patiently outside his shop, waiting for me.
'No, that's old,' I said taking him to the window.
He did smile, but I did need to buy a new lap top.
DL

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Many years ago, visiting my local early Mac lap top repair man, he tut-tutted over it and said, 'But this is old, you see.'
My 1963 R69S was ticking over patiently outside his shop, waiting for me.
'No, that's old,' I said taking him to the window.
A mid-'80s Mac had a 16 bit, 5 MHz microprocessor and 20 MB hard drive. The equivalent today has a 64 bit, 3 GHz microprocessor (i.e. ~6,667x faster; actually, even faster than that due to improved architecture) and 2 TB hard drive (i.e. 100,000x larger). If your R69S had improved as much since then it would now go ~700,000 mph and cover 10 million miles on a tank of gasoline. The repairman was right, an old computer is very old.