Terry Prince Top End Kit

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My bo bo, sorry about that, of course he did the cranks at cost. Racers seldom charge other racers for help and this is a sterling example of that in SPADES! Who did what is well documented on vincentstreamliner.com. Gerry Jenkins has put some great video footage of Vincents in action at Bonneville, Mallory park and more .

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Hi, Glen, sounds like my Wyatt cases maybe had a few less issues. Looks like you are at "the top of your game" I hope the motor works as well as your chassis, as usual, please keep us up to date Regards, roy ps maybe it was me posting about the aggravation with the die grinder!

grahamsharrock

Non-VOC Member
My cases came from Conway's (don't know who makes them) and Terry mentioned that he had to do a hell of a lot of machining on the cases to get every thing to fit and work properly.

davidd

VOC Member
To go racing in most venues in the vintage classes require the machine have original crank cases and heads. MUFFS and all internal parts can be modified in any manner . I think and have been told by one of our own that the powers to be are wearing out there erasers on existing Vintage records. At one time the SCTA said that a Vincent was not legal to run in the push rod classes because the push rods were to short compared to there stroke. SCTA had a formula rule for push rod lengths, HMMM I wonder who pushed that rule through , let

Max is correct about the Vintage class in most venues requiring original crank cases, muffs and heads. It used to be that SCTA was pretty much the only game in town and all of the other sanctioning bodies copied their rules. Today there are quite a few organizations with contradictory rules. For example, I set the record at Loring Timing Association at their inaugural event in 2009. They used the old SCTA rules regarding short push rods that classify the Comet as an overhead cam machine. So, that is the class I am in. At ECTA meets I am in the "Non-Pushrod" class also, because all Vintage bike are considered "Non-Pushrod." In general it means you are competing with 750cc Harley and Indian side valve V-Twins in the 500 cc class (as well as 500cc overhead cam bikes.) That should give you an idea about who wrote the rule.

I know this is technical, but it is worth mentioning that if you plan to compete in any formal club or organization, the first thing you should do is get the rule book. Don't buy the hot rodded parts first!

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
][/quote]
Hi, Glen, sounds like my Wyatt cases maybe had a few less issues. Looks like you are at "the top of your game" I hope the motor works as well as your chassis, as usual, please keep us up to date Regards, roy ps maybe it was me posting about the aggravation with the die grinder!
Thanks Roy, but I am more at the bottom of a learning curve. Fortunately there are good books and helpful experts at hand.
In fairness to Andy Molnar, much of the case renovation was needed to squeeze in that big crank. It is larger in diameter than a standard crank, which would likely have fit right in. Terry told me that the Molnar cases are the finest Vincent crankcases made today. I would say Molnar also has a very good foundry connection as the material looks more like billet than cast, not a flaw visible anywher

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Just received my top end kit from TPV. Here are some of the pictures he sent me of the new compression release machining. I have not yet asked him what type of HD unit he pictures here. They seem to only be available in pairs and are pretty expensive. The CR threaded hole is 12mm, as are the plug holes:

DSC01858.JPG
DSC01857.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just received my top end kit from TPV. Here are some of the pictures he sent me of the new compression release machining. I have not yet asked him what type of HD unit he pictures here. They seem to only be available in pairs and are pretty expensive. The CR threaded hole is 12mm, as are the plug holes:

View attachment 16174 View attachment 16175
Hello Ron, What are you building ?, I thought you were a Standard Man !. Cheers Bill.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I am a Standard Man, Bill. This is the "Standard Comet Special" you see so much of nowadays now that us old guys need a small project to keep us entertained. TPV 600cc top, Norton Commando box, most probably a 4" top tube frame with monoshock rear, Newby belt and clutch and modern Japanese forks. I managed to find a set of bare Comet cases from Oz and I am improvising from there. You have been having so much fun with your Comet I decided to see what that was like.

Ron