Terms & Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Why is it that I cannot find the Forum Terms and Rules on the Forum site - nor any reference to them in the VOC constitution???

Just wondering....

Martyn

vibrac

VOC Member
Take a run round some other old bike forums and as I have said in connection with spares availability some of us don't realise how lucky we are.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The help area link is in the bottom right corner of every page on this forum.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thank you for confirming that they are not reachable on the Forum site
Martyn
Dear Martyn,
If the link in post #2 doesn't work for you try scrolling to the bottom of the forum page where you should find on the right the links to "Contact Webmaster", Terms and Rules, etc. (sorry for duplication we must have posted at almost the same time.)

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The help area link is in the bottom right corner of every page on this forum.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for that navigation tip. After scrolling down around 2 pages after accessing the forum site ( I expect it varies depending on the screen of your devise) I did find the rules for the forum.

I understand from the reading of the Forum rules - last seen by me around 10 years back when I joined the VOC, that one of the 3 key objects of the forum was the perpetuation of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, and matters related to the activities and organisation of the Club.

It seems to me that the current world-wide Covid-19 crisis is having a massive impact on the activities of the Club.

The rules also state that members are discouraged from engaging in Political, Nationalists or Religious commentary.

As far as I can tell, Covid-19 is apolitical, global (not nationalist) and is not a religion.

Thus it is seems to me that it is OK , under the forum rules, to post material related to the Covit-19 plague.

Irrespective of this, if a moderator in his or her personal opinion, takes action to censure ANY post it would be simply good manners to contact the poster, advising them that their post has been subject to censorship and the reasons why.

Failure to tell people about their alleged transgressions does mean that repeated alleged breaches will happen for as far as I can tell it is not current practice to inform the person censored and therefore they are not aware they may have (or how or when) incurred the wrath of a forum moderator.

Martyn

G

Graham Smith

Thank you for confirming that they are not reachable on the Forum site

Hi Martyn - they ARE reachable on the forum site.
As @vin998 says, there’s a link at the bottom of every page.

The reason you’ll find no reference to forum terms and rules in the Club Rules is because the Club is designed to move slowly and cautiously with regards rule changes, so they’re considered and appropriate. It takes well over a year (more like two years) to make any Club Rule changes.

The Club is organised and run by volunteer labour. What we can offer to the members is limited to the personal skills, interests and time that these volunteers make available. We are therefore bound to be cautious in what contractual undertakings we make to Members as our volunteer force regularly changes.

When I set the forum up, rather than waiting for well over a year in order for something to be written into the Club Rules, it was decided by myself and the Secretary of the day to open it on the basis that membership of the forum shall be discretionary, and that Members of The Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club shall not have automatic entitlement to membership.

Even after 13 years, I continue think the forum rules we came up with are still appropriate for our requirements.

If anyone really is desperate to share racist or political material with other Vincent enthusiasts, I understand jtan still has a number of members.

G

Graham Smith

Back in 2018, just before the EU’s new GDPR regulations came into force, we re-looked at the forum’s Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions to ensure they were still up to date.

They required a small amount of tweaking, but not a lot from memory.

Once they were changed, all forum users were forced to accept the new rules and privacy policy before they were allowed back in.

Therefore, everyone who uses this forum, must’ve clicked on a confirmation box to say they’ve read the terms and conditions within the last two years.

If anyone’s unsure of the date they accepted the rules, I can provide it for them.

timetraveller

VOC Member
As someone who is occasionally 'censored' I would like to support the worries raised by Martyn. I can well understand that personal or overtly party politically biased comments are not acceptable but some of the items dismissed seem to me not to fall into these categories. We live in an age where television adverts discuss incontinence, constipation, menstrual problems and adverts for gambling sites, which can lead to several tens of suicides a week, are presented every night of the week. It should never be forgotten that one mans religion is another mans belly laugh and it behoves us all to accept jokes, even at our own expense. I would like the 'censors' to consider which of their own pet likes or dislikes could cause offense to others and ask whether they think that the expression of their personal foibles should result in censorship. Non of us is perfect and power is a dangerous thing, particularly if it is anonymously applied. Please gentlemen, consider where we are going with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.