Television

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It went for £37.5 k. I recon 5k to 7k to just do the wheels exhaust and cosmetics external using professional help. The last auction I went to spent £14,404 -2p day later bought "D" Comet bitza £13.5k from VOCSC ! no logic.
bananaman

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is a strange quirk of human nature, we seem to be drawn towards neglected vehicles that need work, they did touch on the subject in this programme, they showed a couple of examples where the restoration costs were clearly in excess of the value of the vehicle when restored, in other words, keep your eyes and ears open and buy a good one as and when it becomes available, and save yourself a bucketful of money and a lot of hassle, unless of course that is how you get your enjoyment out of life.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I think it is more of an Auction brain.

For many years I sold conveyor equipment in heavy industry, I clearly recall being at an auction and watching one of my customers bid on a large roll of used belting, I think around 600 feet or so. I had looked at it determined that whilst it was OK I had a roll in inventory of new belt that was certainly more than equal to what was on offer. he ended up buying it for about 20% more than a much better value roll of new.......

And just in case you aren't aware that stuff is very expensive, probably around $15K for that one in todays terms, and it was on the lighter end of the price scale.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The bike in discussion, KXF 352 was last taxed on the 1-1-1998, and to date remains untaxed. It is of particular interest to me as it was first registered in August 1949, which exactly the same month and year as my Rapide, a series C Rapide with HRD Crankcases, but the auction bike has HRD Crankcases with Vincent timing chest cover and tappet caps, and straight lug seat stays, my bike has a HRD timing chest cover and tappet caps and curved seat stays, I would really like to know the numbers, but might be difficult now. When I went to the Isle of Man in 2007 I met up with a member in Lancaster, Howard, sadly no longer with us, who had an engine number chronological to my bike, which was nice!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Still remember the shot where He is riding down the lane with NO helmet !!,
I have done it, But would not do it again !!.
My head still hurts from a crash WITH helmet in 1970,
They tell me Motorcycles are Dangerous ??.
Worried of Dorset.