Ted Hampshire beer mug

wld50

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
At the back of the shelf in a charity shop in Headington, Oxford, I found a half pint tankard, with the engraving

'TED HAMPSHIRE. AN APPRECIATION FROM THE VINCENT OWNERS CLUB 1958'

On the base CAMEO PEWTER, Made in Sheffield England, scratched underneath which are 73/JH/E S/P/L

Does this mean anything to anyone - any recollection of why it was presented? (or how it got to Oxfam) I think TH lived somewhere around Oxford.

wld

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Ted Hampshire

I work with Ted for many years at Vincents he lived in Oxford came to work on mondays stay at a home next door to the( Hermet of Redcoats) which is the Herts and Beds meeting place and he whent home on Fridays most times on a new Vincent on trade plates doing a extened road test which was done on about 1 in 20 new bikes in 1958 Ted would have been working for Edward Joy and sons ltd which were ( FILTRATE OIL) hope you bought the Mug David

Howard

VOC Member
Pistons: It is so long since Vins were made that people tend to forget that the original C.R. was so low. The Rapide was 6.45: 1 and the Shadow was 7.3 : 1. The Comet was 6.8: 1 - I'm not quite sure why the Comet differed from both the Rapide and Shadow, but pistons were made in 6.8, 7.3, 8, 9, 11, and 13 to 1. However, a standard Twin has enough power for most road use. I was very friendly with Ted Hampshire both before and after the close of the Vin manufacturing. He always advocated the use of 7.3: 1 for road use, saying there was no smoother or more enjoyable to drive bike than one set up in this way. I know fuels are different today, but here in England we have to use unleaded, which runs hotter than leaded. I have always built my bikes with 7.3: 1 and to this day agree with the expert opinion of Ted. For all round road use, i.e. torque and performance, you can't beat it. Derek J. Peters 7/16/02

I didn't know of Ted Hampshire until I read your thread yesterday, although the name sounded familliar. I was just reading thevincent.com web site and found the above. Sounds like he was a bit of an authority on Vins.

H

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Ted Hampshire

Ted Hampshire was working for watsonian sidecars in 1929 he was asked at the Earls Court show that year by phil vincent to join the vincent hrd company he was there until 1954 or about so he did know his vincents in my time he was in charge of building of vincents in the great north road factory and was one of the few people PCV confided in, Paul richardson and Jack williams were the others Ted was the guy who stamped the frame numbers on your vincent if not Ted,Eddie Cox.

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Ted Hampshire and Dick Madsen-Mygdal

What a wonderful discovery. Guard it well.

PK
Yes, I bought it

I also 'google'd' "Ted Hampshire" and came up with the link below.

www.britishartists.co.uk/des_langford/articles/motorsport/mygdal.html

I rode through North Leigh only this Monday evening on a rather roundabout trip to Cassington and never suspected the link with the rider pictured in Richardson's book

Small world. But then, the villages of North and South Leigh were host to some famous people in the 1940's/ 50's, - Dylan Thomas was living in the latter.

wld

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Magin Roundabout?

Wasn't "Dylan Thomas" the rabbit on Magic Roundabout suspected of smoking pot?

Great buy LD, well done.

Shame it found its way there though isn't it.

Stuart

Yes, I bought it

I also 'google'd' "Ted Hampshire" and came up with the link below.

www.britishartists.co.uk/des_langford/articles/motorsport/mygdal.html

I rode through North Leigh only this Monday evening on a rather roundabout trip to Cassington and never suspected the link with the rider pictured in Richardson's book

Small world. But then, the villages of North and South Leigh were host to some famous people in the 1940's/ 50's, - Dylan Thomas was living in the latter.

wld

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Black Knight

Wasn't "Dylan Thomas" the rabbit on Magic Roundabout suspected of smoking pot?

Great buy LD, well done.

Shame it found its way there though isn't it.

Stuart

No, he was a poet who wrote those immortal lines ' Do not ride gently on that Black Knight'

b'knighted

VOC Member
"Do not ride gently on that Black Knight"

Upon who's wall did he write that?
It would be worth inscribing on a cup of some sort!

Cheers, Ian