Technical Officers report MPH 724

B

Bikersally

Vincent action in the NE of Scotland?

Tom,
Any 'Vincent' action up here in the NE???? Haven't heard or seen anything on the road this year.
Since Captain 'V' is back on the scene I gave him a noise up the other day to see what he's got on the road. We're going for a mid week run up the West Coast since his B'rap is on the road :)
You doing the 'cairn' run? I very much doubt I'll be there but I'm hoping that Scottie Bruce from Westhill will take my rusty trusty Comet on the run. There will be a fair performance when he attempts to start it, being a Jap man through and through he struggles to get his head round gears / brakes on opposite sides. :eek:
I'll tell him to look out for you if your going.

Mileage this year
Rap=113
Comet=255
Velo Lemon=0

wparr2

VOC Hon. Technical Officer
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Members Only website

The correct procedure for logging in is give your
a) membership number (in lower case or upper case)
b) postcode/zipcode (in lower case or upper case)
for UK members in the format XXxxspacexXX
c) password (if you have one) it is important that you put the password in
exactly as you've established it initially.
(i.e. upper case and lower case do matter)

The website uses the secure protocol https throughout. This means that there is a digital certificate, purchased from GlobalSign. Unfortunately, this is not recognized by Firefox (which typically throws a warning about the certificate not being from a trusted authority). It is, fortunately, recognized by Internet Explorer. If you're using Firefox then just proceed.
There have been some reports that third party firewalls (e.g. Zone Alarm)
may cause problems (warnings about hijacks); it is safe to ignore these
warnings.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I initially had the "postcode not recognised" problem, and then put a space in the middle of the postcode. ie "ab12 3cd" and then it worked. The login is sensitive to putting a space in the middle of your postcode.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vincents in the NE

I run mine about 5 times a week, but have had to deal with a family bereavement. I fancy a run over to the west (apart from Applecross in June), but this week and next are out. I believe Victor G is at the SSDT this week, but probably on The Behemoth.
Keep me posted. I've have made it "Three go West on Vincents" had the timing (of the run..) been right.
I won't be at the Cairn, which clashes with something I'm committed to.

Tom,
Any 'Vincent' action up here in the NE???? Haven't heard or seen anything on the road this year.
Since Captain 'V' is back on the scene I gave him a noise up the other day to see what he's got on the road. We're going for a mid week run up the West Coast since his B'rap is on the road :)
You doing the 'cairn' run? I very much doubt I'll be there but I'm hoping that Scottie Bruce from Westhill will take my rusty trusty Comet on the run. There will be a fair performance when he attempts to start it, being a Jap man through and through he struggles to get his head round gears / brakes on opposite sides. :eek:
I'll tell him to look out for you if your going.

Mileage this year
Rap=113
Comet=255
Velo Lemon=0

V

VOC Machine Registrar

Vic,

I wrote about this problem some months ago in MPH.

The problem is that certain browser programmes such as Firefox and Safari do not recognise the Issuing agent of the Certificate of Authenticity that is used for the VOC site. In simple terms, they do not have their name on their check list.

This is all very annoying as the Club pay good money for certification.
We have tried to rectify this fault but to no avail.

When faced with the drop down that says the certificate is not valid just select the ignore option and carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
VOC Web Site Security

Andy,

I have been researching this and believe that there should be no problem with Globalsign...see http://www.globalsign.co.uk/digital_certificate/ev-ssl-certificate/index.htm They cater for most browsers including well established browsers such as Safari and Firefox in addition to Windows Explorer.

Globalsign is very well established and trusted so I do not understand why you think the problem resides with them. Firefox is on their list.

I am wondering whether the security problem is more to do with the VOC host server hardware and software?

Firefox, for example, works fine with Natwest, Santander, Paypal etc etc......

Zone Alarm is also a well established and, as far as I am concerned, a trusted firewall system that is continuously updated.

Sadly I will not be using the site for any financial transactions while I continue to experience security warnings. So hopefully Bill Parr will be able to find time to look into this at some time in the future.

Vic

PaulB

VOC Member
Hi Vic,
You are right about the GlobalSign website saying that they support various browsers including Firefox, so we're not sure why there is an issue at the moment.
I will look into it this week and report back.
However, what I can assure you is that there are no issues with either the server hardware or software. In addition, the server sits behind a recognised industry leading firewall.
In reality, it doesn't actually matter if the browser recognises the signing authority, the connection is still fully encrypted under the HTTPS protocol.
I'll report back after talking to GlobalSign this week.
Regards,
Paul

PaulB

VOC Member
GlobalSign update:
On detailed investigation, it transpired that Firefox doesn't entirely play by the established rules of SSL security certificates, which causes it not to recognise many valid certificates.
However, having got to the bottom of the issue, the resolution was actually pretty simple and took very little time to rectify.
Therefore, can those of you using Firefox as your preferred browser please check again on the club website and see if you still have a problem with it not recognising the certificate.
If you still have a problem, please either report back here or send me an email.
Thank you.