TDC Tool

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I second the "nope". I'd bet it wouldn't get you closer than 10 or 20 degrees. The object seems to be to get it close enough that you can see the timing marks on the V8 harmonic balancer. My bike just doesn't seem to have one.

I use a piston stop but like the idea of the soap bubble method. Never tried it though.

Gary

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Before I got piston stops, I had a spoke with a mark on it, that my father made. Worked very well on the side of the road. When I got home and checked with a degree wheel and buzz box, it was spot on.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I had something very similar, came with my crypton tuner. Its function is to establish that you about to carry out the leakdown test on the correct cylinder. A magic tool especially if ,as I often was, working on a twelve cylinder motor.

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
Before I got piston stops, I had a spoke with a mark on it, that my father made. Worked very well on the side of the road. When I got home and checked with a degree wheel and buzz box, it was spot on.
I have had to use a small screwdriver when doing a roadside ATD replacement.It worked well enough to get home,and on checking turned out to be only a few degrees out.I think it was as accurate as the item described would have been.