TDC finding Tool

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all,
I remember reading somewhere about a tool that temporarily replaced the Main Shaft Oil Quill and could be used to hold a timing disc for setting up the cam timing etc.
Would anyone have a photo or description of the item, or the address of anyone that sells such an item?

Thanks in advance
Kevin Dennis

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I made up a brass rod about 12" long, with a very rough taper on one end, and a nut and 2 washers on the other..I think tne brass rod was a toilet repair piece..threads on one end courtesy of a lathe, and the taper courtesy of a coarse file..

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
Hi Kevin, I got a superb piece of kit for this from Trev, it also allows you to set and check with a timing light.

Tony

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Ohhh, I like the sound of that...got pics?, more info? Cost?.... Or better still- if I put out tea and scones will you nip over and check the timing on The Beast?

deejay499

VOC Member
I used a section of the good lady's bamboo knitting needle, with a self tapping screw in the end for the disc. It is nicely tapered and soft so as not to damage anything inside.

Albervin

VOC Member
:confused:I have seen an old pushrod inserted through a rubber grommet that has been inserted into the hole in a timing disc. The pushrod is "gently" tapped into the quill orifice and job done. Note! I have seen this done but do not necessarily recommend it

Roger Barton

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mine is a rod with a slit cut up the length for about 1/2" locks in the hole. Threaded other end to hold the timing wheel with nuts and washers works a treat for the last 50 years. My Father made it.