TDC finding Tool

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Hey Josh, check with Bill Easter, he used to stock them, not sure if he still does.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I like the look of the one on ebay...but I would feel better buying it if it came from Kemp or the VOC spares....

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Timing

The "timing light" is in "Tuning for Speed" using a bit of insulating tape around the points plate centre tapered bolt, the bike's own battery and a cheap automotive test lamp with a crocodile clip, There are no alligators in OZ. Cheers, F5AB/2A/7945 since 1970.Time the cams "rocking" on equal lift at 4 degrees BTDC exhaust stroke.Once you have the ignition timing right, make a piston stop for around 35 degrees BTDC compression from an old spark plug body. Carry this in your tooltray. I made my timng disc carrier from a bit of 5/16" allthread as you can adjust the position of the disc to clear the gear lever and the exhaust with a bit of patience.The taper needs to increase from 1/4" slowly to get it snug in the mainshaft hole.

Last edited:

ET43

Non-VOC Member
I used to retail a piston stop made from old spark plugs, but which were adjustable for length. If one follows the advice in K.T.B. it is possible to set the thing up for wherever you want your ignition to happen on the firing stroke. I always set it up at full advance, and when running the twin, had one for each cylinder, just in case the plug hole depth was different. These could be kept as Chankly bore says, in the tool tray for use at the road side. Two are handy if you have, like one Australian member does, a 52 & 1/2 degree twin. I have still got some components left at home----. Cheers, ET43

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
What eventually dawned on me was that what I didn't need was TDC. What I needed was 34 deg BTDC. This is good, because finding TDC in terms of crank angle is bloody difficult even with a dial gauge on the piston top, and next to impossible with a pencil or whatever. But that doesn't matter. Having found TDC near-as-dammit, it is very easy accurately to mark the exact point where 34 degrees BTDC occurs in terms of piston drop.
All that said, I carry a piston stop as described, and turn the "depth measurer" (a 3/8" BSF Allen screw in an old Lodge body) OUT the right number of turns from fully IN. (Complex technology: took me nearly 40 minutes to make one for a fellow member...) That number (4 3/4 turns out) is painted inside the tool tray. Note that the number of turns out has to be established using a timing disc, because the plug'ole is angled and the piston top domed. Trig doesn't work.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Just a bit of feedback guys, Bought device for timing from Clev Trev...brilliant, well engineered and sinple to use. Thanks Trev. !!!!