Taper roller bearings in steering head

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have fitted taper bearings into one of my Hondas in the past and have tightened them only slightly to much and after a few days noticed that the steering was like a ratchet with distinctive notchise (spelling). Although on the king pins of very heavy off road dump trucks front axles have tappered bearings rather than pins and bushes and have only ever changed them when the rubber seals fail.

Howard

VOC Member
I have fitted taper bearings into one of my Hondas in the past and have tightened them only slightly to much and after a few days noticed that the steering was like a ratchet with distinctive notchise (spelling). Although on the king pins of very heavy off road dump trucks front axles have tappered bearings rather than pins and bushes and have only ever changed them when the rubber seals fail.

There's no logic with bearings. My swinging arm bearings got an advisory on the last MoT, so I replaced them - the outer races were completely shot. Knowing the steering head tapers were even older and had probably been in since 1974, I changed them too, but they seemed as good as new even though I'd expect them to have a harder life.

H

davidd

VOC Member

John,

There have been lots of posts in many forums describing the symptoms you encountered. It is almost alwasy due to interference of the conversion with a seal or washer. I do not believe it is the bearings. You might like to google taper roller conversions.

David