Taper roller bearings in steering head

alscomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone have the bearing numbers that are available to change the steering head bearings to taper roller type,are the bearings readily available or do they need
any modifications. does the steering head need any machining to fit taper rollers?
Thanks for any replys. Alan

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Alan, I was told by one of our top men, Who has now gone to Spain, You only need to change the bottom bearing to taper type, I did it a long time ago, The outer track is a knat's too small, So you have to pack it out with shim metal, And I think you may have to turn a small bit off the stem. The one Bruce is talking about needs a bit of extra work also, So someone wrote a while ago. If you want I can give you the bearing type I use, Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
In addition to the German member refered to above Hugh McAllister in Sussex also does a conversion. My understanding is that there are differences in the bearings and their fitting between the two systems but I do not know the details accurately enough to tell you what the pros and cons are of either system. I would guess that if one went down this route then both top and bottom bearings should be done or otherwise one could not use any pre-load.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Wouldn't the axial load on the bottom bearing with the bike on its tires be more than the preload with the front wheel off the ground?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Norman, I have not seen an advert for Hugh's Parts, I know he does 8" f/brakes, Does he have a web site or something ? Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Reply for Bruce; the way that I see it you are correct when the bike is on the ground and static but if it is hammering over bumps then the loading on the bottom bearing will vary. You will recall that one never tightens up the normal cup and cones fully as one can overload them so there will be a little clearance left and I would guess that this would allow the bottom bearing to 'hammer', even if only by thous. Remember that tapers can run perfectly alright with a slight preload and I imagine that when setting up a taper roller steering head one would just ensure that there is a very slight nip on the bearings.

Reply for Bill; He never advertises and it is all word of mouth. Forum rules preclude me from putting his contact details here but if you email me or p.m. me I will pass a message on to Hugh.

alscomet

VOC Member
I have had a look at the Patzke modification and although it must work I was looking for bearings that just replace the cups and cones surely there must be something out there that would fit the bill
without resorting to machining,grinding,tinning and loctite and general buggering about.I will have a look at it. What I could do with is an old set of cups and cones to size up I will pay the postage. Alan