Tank transfer application

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I accidentally overfilled the tank on my Series C Rapide with the bike on the side stand and the fuel
has ruined the LH side Vincent logo transfer.
It's not laquered over and was wondering, if I bought a new one how difficult would it be to replace.
Any help appreciated.
Dan

davidd

VOC Member
That's good. Stove enamel is robust. I would remove the offending transfer. If there is a solvent that will take the rest of it up without hurting the enamel, I would use that. You might daub some on the bottom of the tank as a test. If you are fearful of solvents, use a tongue depressor or something wooden to scrape the remnants off. I would mask the area in case you slip and so you can finish it with a high number sanding paper. Then apply the transfer.

You have two choices with modern transfers: water slide or self adhesive vinyl graphic. I have always used the water slides and I have had good luck with them including clear coating over them. However, many painters prefer the vinyl because it does better under clear coat. The vinyl can be thicker than the water slide, but if it is a good supplier it should not be unacceptably thick. I think that I might give the vinyl a go. The VOC Spares will have the water slides. I do not know if they carry vinyl. Classic Transfers does and you can read their tech questions:

http://www.classictransfers.co.uk/

I have purchased transfers from them that the Club does not make and I was very happy with their services.

I take it that the gold line survived?

David

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks. Really helpful.
The gold line looks ok. It feels slightly rough around the area of the spillage as though that particular part of the line is unlaquered.
The logo may be the vinyl graphic type as a section of it has turned papery. Transfers I think would normally tend to 'pickle'.
Image attatched. SDC10261.jpg

davidd

VOC Member
Clear coating does add some protection, but I have seen well cured clear coated tanks go bad by having fuel vent or spill under a tank bag. The coating will usually remain strong during evaporation, but if the fuel is trapped it seems to ruin just about anything.

Good luck,

David

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
I have recently resprayed my Comet tank and used waterslide transfers from the VOC spares company. Waterslides are better, in my opinion, because they are thinner. but from painful experience I would make sure that you use the minimum of water to slide the transfer off, press as firmly as possible all over to remove any water pockets under the transfer and then leave it for at least 24 hours in a warm place to ensure that no moisture at all remains before lacquering. P1050530.jpgP1050531.jpgP1050532.jpgP1050533.jpgP1050534.jpg
Give it a couple of very thin flash coats of lacquer before laying it on at any thickness so that the transfer is sealed. Sad experience shows that puckering will occur in more than the transfer if any moisture is still present!!! Apologies if you know all this already.... Phil

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks
Looks real nice.
The transfer with lacquering would be more durable. I not sure what type mine is. The damaged part comes away quite easily and it's very thin
but I can feel an edge. Once I know I'll order the same.

nkt267

VOC Member
If the transfer is a water slide type I would try soaking it in hot water,It may release it from the tank without any damage to the paintwork..John