Tank sealer removal

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there,
The inside of my tank looks like it's made of old cork bark with lumps hanging off and i'm having to clean my petrol filters all the time, so as it's winter i'd like to get all the crap out WITHOUT damaging the paintwork. So ok I get everything loose out through the filler but is there anything that will disolve the rest I can use and what's the best way to protect the paint.
Chris.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Chris,
On one of the flakes that you've gotten out try Acetone, or even neat methanol, but do not get any methanol on your paintwork.

Best of luck
Neil

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi,

These people will sell you stuff to remove linings etc, or if you don't want to do it yourself they will (at a price). You could sent a large flake to them via post for a trial as different linings need different chemicals to remove them.

http://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/

Cheers
Simon

vincenttwin

VOC Member
I use a good quality aircraft paint remover ,some hard wear stores in the states carry it, do not seal your tank up as it gives off gas , it might take a full day of swirling it around in the tank .

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Bill, there is no simple reply. I tried petrol, diesel, acetone, Gunk type solvents etc. on the ex-Cecil Mills bike without feeling confident that it was clean. In the end I made a hole for a ‘man hole cover’ and it was still filthy inside. About quarter of an inch of sludge that required mechanical scraping and pressure washing as well as days of soaking in some of the above solvents until it was totally clean. On the other hand, having got the bit between my teeth with oil tank cleaning, I then decided that I would do the tank off my sprinter. It was still clean inside with no sludge at all. Sadly I do not know the history of this tank, miles covered, oil type used etc. so I cannot say why it was still clean. So in your case it will be just chance as to whether the tank will clean up easily or whether it will need a ‘man hole’. I did draw up a man hole that used the edge of a K1 or K3 to open or close the screwed in plug so if you want to make, or get made, a copy you are welcome to the drawings. Several local riders have fitted them with no problems.

vibrac

VOC Member
I found one of my Douglas tanks like this dry and flakey full of 'bark' and I had a deadline- 2 days.
I used a physical dry method knocked out all the flakey bits by probe and then by shaking nuts etc until nothing else was loose inside and not even dust came out
then I simply added some new resistant gloop and ensured all the inside was coated and sealed
It was just a temporary measure in desperation but the tank is still OK and this will be season 3 and most important the paint was not endangered

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Cheers, T.T. I plan to cut a hole anyway, I have a big screwed plumbers fitting which I think will weld OK, I just thought that Vans' bit from Realclassic about Caustic Soda might shift whatever is in the oil tank. Another case of Suck It and See !! Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I don't have a time problem and already removed a large pile of resinous and rubbery stuff so I think two lots of sealer have been used, scraped and shook out as much as I can but can still see stuff through tap holes so it will have to be disolved out, ordered Petseal remover from Tank Care Products as Petseal was definitely one of the sealers used. If that leaves some I will probably have to use their flexible sealer remover on the rest.
Chris.