Tank rubbers

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I received a set of tank rubbers a while back...went to install them last week & discovered that they were made of urethane...very hard, barely compressible...anyone else come across these?

Albervin

VOC Member
Send them back as "not fit for purpose". You really need to have a bit of flex in these.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I got mine from Peter Barker, just fitted them today, they are perfect. maybe yours were just old stock and have been lying on the shelf for years.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I received a set of tank rubbers a while back...went to install them last week & discovered that they were made of urethane...very hard, barely compressible...anyone else come across these?
Did you fit them ? Have a problem fitting them ?
There are several out there from at least thirty years ago, with no problems. Perhaps alyn can explain why he needs flex ?
I always carry a spare piece of cable :))

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
These are quite new, and the material is very different..its really not a big deal - more of an oddity. I couldn't fit them as they were almost impossible to compress...

Albervin

VOC Member
As always, Trevor is correct. I think the correct terminology should be elasticity. Then again, surely some flexibility is needed to do the desired job? I don't think perished rubber that is as hard as a rock will do the job. I have a rubber ear/nasal syringe that is about 100 years old. It has the flexibility of a lump of coal!

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
My tank rubbers - archaeologists will puzzle millennia hence over a cache of fossilised tank rubbers found beneath "what may have been a primitive workbench", because I've lost more than I've worn out - have always needed to be fitted initially with a lubricant. My personal preference is talcum powder, which has the advantages of 1) not altering the properties of the rubber, and 2) reducing the stock of "men's grooming products" that lazy relatives have sent as Christmas presents. It works well on tyres too, allowing them 1) to be slipped easily over the rim and 2) not gumming themselves permanently to said rim, as will be discovered when next one wants to take the tyre off. This cannot be said for washing-up liquid.
It might be time to try tipping the aftershave (bearded men don't use it) into the fuel tank: might do less harm than modern "petrol". Hell, it's 5% ethanol...
Morecambe and Wise joke:
Ernie to Eric: can you think of a sentence with "judicious" in it?
Eric: "The hands that judicious can be soft as your face, with Mild, Green Fairy Liquid".
There's no answer to that.
As always, Trevor is correct. I think the correct terminology should be elasticity. Then again, surely some flexibility is needed to do the desired job? I don't think perished rubber that is as hard as a rock will do the job. I have a rubber ear/nasal syringe that is about 100 years old. It has the flexibility of a lump of coal!