T: Fuel Tank Tank repair help

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I note amongst the hundreds of Indian tanks on evil bay there is a smattering of alloy tanks that have started to appear. Our tank with the carb breathing hole was specially made. anyone tried an Indian alloy one?

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Tack weld a fixing in the centre of the dent and pull out with a slide hammer. Fill any imperfections with body lead smoothed with a moleskin cloth. I caught a mole in the garden last week, if I'd known I could have sent it to you! I did all this on my S8 Sunbeam in 1970.
Cheers Bill
Ha ha, if it wasn't for my cat enjoying the odd Mole, I may well have taken you up on your offer!

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
There is a few on youtube for ideas.
Thanks Bill, Its very impressive how only using the steel rod the dent can be manipulated out with a bit of pressure in the right place. They're quite addictive to watch, with some of the dents in what looks like impossible area to repair.
As the tunnel is high on the Vincent tank, it's impossible to get a rod in over to the opposite side to the filler neck unfortunately.
Cheers

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Can't really see that a bit of filler is such a bad thing,
If you have watched a few USA Custom Car stuff, They use it by the ton !.
Brother Ron made me a Special Petrol tank to take Oil one side Petrol the other,
Like an "A" Twin, I can hardly pick it up :D .
I agree, though I just want to get the worst of the dent removed, so its easier to work with cleaning the inside and less prep work for painting.
Cheers

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Some of the other videos that accompanied the one posted by Bill Thomas are really instructive, I had not realised that the work these chaps are doing was even possible, or some of the tools used. If you did not view some of them them then I recommend that you do. It is clearly a skill which can be learnt and has tools which could be copied.
Absolutely, I found myself watching multiples as they make it seem effortless! They seem to have a different pusher rod for every eventuality

Oldhaven

VOC Member
You have the advantage, (I guess), of having to repaint anyway, but here are pictures of my tank before and after, and the paint was saved through this technique. I would not be so sure it is impossible to reach the dents over the tunnel as these guys are pretty ingenious, but in your case it may be more cost effective to cut an access hole.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Talking about tanks, can someone let me know what code/number or name colour of the maroon "A" tanks were please as I just about to give Old Harry a facelift, Christine has seen what a lovely job Pau Adams did on the Comet tank so she wants the same on the Rap. Thank you sorry for butting in but not sure how to start a thread.
bananaman.