T: Fuel Tank Tank Mounting

druridge

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Like Nigel my tank goes on a lot easier without the rubbers in place, I then push them in, large bit inside

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Gents,
When you study the MO drawings you will find many details that indicate that they were drawn quite early on. Such things as the RFM, gear lever, front brake cable, and particularly on MO19 the two same handed carbs front and rear demonstrate this.

Later they were updated to show Vincent logos, and to add many later additions and changes.

Back to FT80. On a B there is plenty of room to easily fit the rubbers as drawn, and this is the easy correct way. However, the eccentrics of Girdraulics can hit FT80 if fitted as shown. For this reason all C owners endure the struggle of fitting the tank with the rubbers already in place with fat side inboard....or if lucky with how the oil filler limits positioning by putting the rubbers in later.

Strapping the control cables to the ufm means you only need three and a half hands to do the job.

Regards
Tatty

vibrac

VOC Member
I have never found a great problem fitting them in with the steps I mentioned above I think once I reduced the depth of one of the rubbers .One of the best tools I ever bought was a bench mounted carpenters linishing belt

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I slide the tank nearly into place without the rubbers, then while holding the tank such that the mounting tab is adjacent to where it needs to be, you then slide the rubber in, from the inside, with the large diameter section towards the inside. After both rubbers have been installed, then you slide the tank into final position.

vibrac

VOC Member
Just been out fitting a tank and a couple of additional pointers
1, that taper I spoke about I should have been clearer the taper on the wide part of the rubbers faces down so that when you push the tank down from the insert position above the headstock boss it slides over them
2. get new rubbers I had some NOS stock I just tried they were like ebony no chance

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have a large aluminium petrol tank on my Rapide. When I first fitted it didn't quite sit level as I think one of the front mountings wasn't welded quite in line. Rob Staley had a similar alignment problem with his standard Rapide tank. He had corrected this by making some molds and making some custom tank rubbers using a two-pack mix that sets as a soft rubber. He put the holes off centre so that by rotating the rubber you had an up, down, forward, backwards adjustment. He gave me a couple, it worked for me. Thanks Rob, clever guy.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That's funny, I have just done the same sort of thing on my " New " Comet,
With the Big tank off my Old Special on a "D" Frame,
Which was made for Norton Forks, But is now too close to the Girdraulics.
Only I made the hole offset and stuffed something in to push the bolt to one side, Bodge !.
I thought I had thought of it first :) , There is nothing New or Standard !.