T: Fuel Tank Tank Mounting

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Isn't the tank rubber FT80 oriented the correct way in post #4, then turned around the wrong way in post #5?

I've always had the larger diameter section on the inside, not the outside.
The drawing in post #5 shows the rubber the wrong way round (i.e. As it was shown in the original factory MO drawing. Post #5 has a note added saying that FT80 needs to flipped around to have the large diameter inside.

vibrac

VOC Member
I pop one side of the large diameter on the grindstone and give it a slight taper this helps me get it into the gap twixt tank and frame
I also use a socket with a 5/16 nut already inside and a short extension to do the bolt up

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I put mine on with the large diameter outside, just like in the original parts drawing. It works. It still holds the tank centralized and the tank can't hit the UFM. I think it is a lot easier to install the tank without the rubbers and then put them on afterwards. I think maybe the original drawing is right, although I have heard other people say it is a misprint.

vibrac

VOC Member
I can recall that in the depth of winter a constable recommended and alternative to clear a frozen fuel line.
A well known Vincent practitioner used the same liquid to micro etch his barrels overnight after they had been honed. While I think he washed them in the morning before fitting, unfortunately what beer he drank before the aplication has been lost to posterity

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
But then, the mounting tabs on the tank have to be bent inwards, no?
On my bike maybe the mounting tabs are already bent in a bit. They look straight but maybe they aren't. It does look to me as though the rubbers would fit in the other way around, it would be a lot harder to install them though. I am going to keep doing it my way even if it is wrong.