craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
here is a drawing hopefully helpful.

CometM019aMod2.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
I thnk FT172/1 were pointed at sometime in the past I had some, it certainly made fitting easy
On the racer they are replaced by alloy fingers

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I have a related question. What's the function of the 762 washer under the front mounting bolt? The bolt locks down at the shoulder against the UFM and the rubber can't escape at all. If using the washer, it obviously needs to be smaller than the hole in the tank, so as not to bottom out the bolt head and force the tab on the tank to bend. On my bike I find that the distance from the shoulder of the bolt to the underside of the head is slightly less than the thickness of the rubber, so the rubber is slightly compressed when the bolt is tightened. That seems correct to me. If the washer is used, the distance is reduced, thereby compressing the rubber more than needed or perhaps even desirable. More compression probably means less vibration absorption, although I realize that this subject becomes rather complex.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
The thickness of a washer won't be too detrimental so long as the diameter is smaller than the rubber, I now silver solder the washer to the bolt having made it from hexagon stainless with an additional 1/4" diameter & length on the end so it is easier to install and a socket can push against the washer. My original ones on my "B" replaced with HMD stainless with washer built-in and hexagon 1/4 Whit machined after, but that was when the Admiralty was paying for it.
bananaman

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
For me it should have the washer, Or the head of the bolt will sink into the rubber, Over time !,
Trouble is because of different size rubbers, Bolt lengths and brackets on the Tanks,
Like everything on Vincent's, It needs playing with to get it right for your Bike.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Isn't the tank rubber FT80 oriented the correct way in post #4, then turned around the wrong way in post #5?

I've always had the larger diameter section on the inside, not the outside.