• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

T: Fuel Tank Tank Mounting

vibrac

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I thnk FT172/1 were pointed at sometime in the past I had some, it certainly made fitting easy
On the racer they are replaced by alloy fingers

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I have a related question. What's the function of the 762 washer under the front mounting bolt? The bolt locks down at the shoulder against the UFM and the rubber can't escape at all. If using the washer, it obviously needs to be smaller than the hole in the tank, so as not to bottom out the bolt head and force the tab on the tank to bend. On my bike I find that the distance from the shoulder of the bolt to the underside of the head is slightly less than the thickness of the rubber, so the rubber is slightly compressed when the bolt is tightened. That seems correct to me. If the washer is used, the distance is reduced, thereby compressing the rubber more than needed or perhaps even desirable. More compression probably means less vibration absorption, although I realize that this subject becomes rather complex.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
The thickness of a washer won't be too detrimental so long as the diameter is smaller than the rubber, I now silver solder the washer to the bolt having made it from hexagon stainless with an additional 1/4" diameter & length on the end so it is easier to install and a socket can push against the washer. My original ones on my "B" replaced with HMD stainless with washer built-in and hexagon 1/4 Whit machined after, but that was when the Admiralty was paying for it.
bananaman

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
For me it should have the washer, Or the head of the bolt will sink into the rubber, Over time !,
Trouble is because of different size rubbers, Bolt lengths and brackets on the Tanks,
Like everything on Vincent's, It needs playing with to get it right for your Bike.

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Isn't the tank rubber FT80 oriented the correct way in post #4, then turned around the wrong way in post #5?

I've always had the larger diameter section on the inside, not the outside.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Isn't the tank rubber FT80 oriented the correct way in post #4, then turned around the wrong way in post #5?

I've always had the larger diameter section on the inside, not the outside.
The drawing in post #5 shows the rubber the wrong way round (i.e. As it was shown in the original factory MO drawing. Post #5 has a note added saying that FT80 needs to flipped around to have the large diameter inside.

vibrac

VOC Member
I pop one side of the large diameter on the grindstone and give it a slight taper this helps me get it into the gap twixt tank and frame
I also use a socket with a 5/16 nut already inside and a short extension to do the bolt up

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I put mine on with the large diameter outside, just like in the original parts drawing. It works. It still holds the tank centralized and the tank can't hit the UFM. I think it is a lot easier to install the tank without the rubbers and then put them on afterwards. I think maybe the original drawing is right, although I have heard other people say it is a misprint.

MartynG

VOC Member
I can recall that in the depth of winter a constable recommended and alternative to clear a frozen fuel line.

vibrac

VOC Member
I can recall that in the depth of winter a constable recommended and alternative to clear a frozen fuel line.
A well known Vincent practitioner used the same liquid to micro etch his barrels overnight after they had been honed. While I think he washed them in the morning before fitting, unfortunately what beer he drank before the aplication has been lost to posterity

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
But then, the mounting tabs on the tank have to be bent inwards, no?
On my bike maybe the mounting tabs are already bent in a bit. They look straight but maybe they aren't. It does look to me as though the rubbers would fit in the other way around, it would be a lot harder to install them though. I am going to keep doing it my way even if it is wrong.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?