Tank mounting misalignment

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’ve just had a close look at a Type 1, the holes down the middle of the two ‘tubes’ have a machined finish. What if Ed Stevens was correct and the forging was then bored out?

Vince Farrell

Mine shows the machining in both tubes also, though I would have expected it in the bearing housing tube. If you look just to the rear and down a bit from where the serial number is stamped, at least on my Type 1 headstock, there is some type of symbol that resembles the foundry or forging mark found on some other parts like footpieces, footrest brackets and other non-tube parts scattered over the motorcycle. I can't say what the symbol means, but I am sure someone knows and it would answer this question.

Goodness, why are a dozen or so of us all over the world up doing this on Christmas? Hope you all have, (had), a great one. I'm looking forward to cooking a wonderful big bloody beef roast in the ESSE woodstove today with one of our best wines from down cellar.

Ron

Vince Farrell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Good point Trev, that’ll teach me to reply to posts in the middle of the night, and also take everything written in Know Thy Beast as ‘Gospel’.

See Third edition page 20 heading “The Steering Head Lug and Cylinder Head Brackets”

On Page 21 Ed also says the Type 3 is a malleable iron casting, isn’t that one a forging?

Vince Farrell

Just To be clear, the headstock type Ed refers to the casting/forging, not the Vincent part #.
I reckon the first and last are forgings, the former with a couple of holes drilled through it.
What does the VOC Technical Committee members think about this subject?

Type 1 headstock FT1/1
Type 2 headstock FT1/2
Type 2 headstock FT1/3 same headstock as FT1/2 but minor cosmetic variations.
Type 3 headstock FT 1/4
Type 3 headstock FT1/5 same headstock as FT1/4 machined for use on ‘D’ models.
FT1/3 is very rare. Machined the same so it will still fit, so don’t fret about it.

There was an article and pictures in MPH a while ago, maybe Graham can tell us when.

Vince Farrell