Tank Lining

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has anyone ever made a drawing for the definitive outline for the gold lines on the tank. I've noticed that there are quite a few variations in the route the lines take.
I think I prefer the wide type layout,but what is the original? John

clevtrev

VOC Member
Tank lining would have the character of the man who wielded the brush, and what size brush, on the day that it was lined. i.e. No two the same, similar, but not the same.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
John, in one of the Scandinavian Vincent Club journals there is a drawing to show the (more or less) correct layout of the tank lining. I have to agree with Clevtrev that they vary because they were hand-lined by one Harold Maddocks (according to Furness & Searle.) It is important that they are somewhere near correct; we've all seen examples that look totally wrong. The same applies to the position of the transfers.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Some time ago I made a fibreglass 'mask' to fit the top of 'B' and 'C' tanks. The edge of this was made completely symetrical so that by laying the tape (or if you are artistic enough painting) round the outer edge of this one got a symmetrical set of lines. The dimensions were taken from Eddie Stevens article in MPH a few years ago. At the time I measured a tank which was known not to have been repainted from new. The width of the lines was 5 mm and at the rear of the tank one side differed from the other by about 3/4". Not surprising for hand drawn lines.

The problem is how to get this mask to you and to ensure that it is returned. One has already gone walk about. Are you, and your tank, likely to be at the All Fools Meet?

nkt267

VOC Member
Sorry I won't be at the all fools meet.I was hoping that someone had mapped the lines from a center line and location at the front of the tank.I too made a mask from vac form plastic but unfortunately it got damaged,and I didn't have the foresight to map co-ordinates from it:(.
I think I know someone who has a tank that I can measure from.Many thanks for the offer..John

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Look in MPH no 543, April 1994 and you'll find Eddie Stevens and Frank Griffins article showing 'location of tank gold lines and transfers':)