Taking it Off!!

Pharquarx

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The timing cover on my 1950 Comet that is. I have a new Miller D6 dynamo and a new bt-h magneto to install. With the removal of the timing cover:

Should I drain the oil first?
Should I remove anything such as the quills, etc prior to pulling the cover?
Are the bolts that hold the cover to the case unique as to their position?
When reassembling, what should the bolts holding the cover to the case be torqued to?
Anything in particular to look at, check or observe while I have the cover off?
Any other words of wisdom on doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help. The weather here in Southern California has been almost tropical this winter and, I am ready to get out there and ride in about a month.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
The timing cover on my 1950 Comet that is. I have a new Miller D6 dynamo and a new bt-h magneto to install. With the removal of the timing cover:

Should I drain the oil first?
Should I remove anything such as the quills, etc prior to pulling the cover?
Are the bolts that hold the cover to the case unique as to their position?
When reassembling, what should the bolts holding the cover to the case be torqued to?
Anything in particular to look at, check or observe while I have the cover off?
Any other words of wisdom on doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help. The weather here in Southern California has been almost tropical this winter and, I am ready to get out there and ride in about a month.
Charlie,

Have you got:
1 - Owners/Riders handbook - originals come up from time to time on ebay and you can get a reproduction from Russ at VinParts I guess.
2 - Richardson - Vincent motorcycle maintenance
3 - Know Thy Beast - Eddie Stevens

All good reading and walk you through this kind of thing.

The other recommendation I'd make is have a fellow VOC member, local section around to watch you do it, great apprenticeship that. I'm sure someone from the local section will help out.

Stuart

Stuart

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Charlie
Quick answers
Get the books and a VOC friend BL refers to.
No need to drain the oil, you will get some drips as the oil pump will let some pass.
Yes remove the oil feed quill and the oil filter banjo bolt .
The centre top and centre bottom screws are ¼” longer than the rest as they fit were the cover locating pegs are.
Clean out the holes in the bolt holes in c/c use a suitable size drill bit in your fingers NOT in a drill!! Then run the screw back in and the drill again a bit of grease on the drill will help to pick up the debris.
Not need to torque the screws in just tight with a screw driver or allen key.
Use any sealing compound sparingly.
Ride and enjoy the lights and easier starting, I’ve got a BTH on my Comet to.

Pharquarx

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies, both here in the forum and via PM. I have the referenced reading material as well as other books and they are invaluable. Sometimes I need sort of a workshop manual, not necessarily down to the "janitor" level, but a guide. Without that, this forum is proving invaluable for procedures and advice and I truly appreciate the input.

By the way, the cover is now off, what a thrill to see the "Made in England" cast inside, a thing of beauty this machine is.