Tail Light Assembly

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can some one tell me with regards to the 35 E rear tail light if the flange on it goes in front or behind the hole in the number plate bracket. And also what kind of fixing screws are correct....... I'm guessing they are a dome head slotted machine screw or similar. The "A" Comet I have been restoring is rapidly coming to an end, so getting down to some of the final small details now.......... Cheers ............. Greg.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dome headed slotted screws and the rear light mounting flange is on the outside of the number plate bracket. That i the same side the registration is displayed.
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ignore my last comment as I have looked through the photos I have and found at least one example of "original" unrestored series A single with evidence the light flange was on the back side of the number plate. So who knows? Does it really matter?
Simon

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Does the front/back positioning impact the ability to replace the light unit, without first removing the number plate bracket?

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Does the front/back positioning impact the ability to replace the light unit, without first removing the number plate bracket?
If the light unit is fitted at the back of the number plate the two can be separated and re-assembled without disconnecting the wiring.

Albervin

VOC Member
You do realise the light fitting is a Miller pre war unit the same as fitted to a Rudge and other bikes. The light unit is stamped with writing that tells you how to fit it.