Tail Lamp Question

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone have a photo of Series A tail lamp in place or does anyone know if the tail lamp feeds through the license plate from front to rear or rear to front? The reason I ask is this: The tail lamp assembly Doug has has six mounting holes, the license plate has three holes for the lamp. If the lamp located on the rear surface of the license plate you will see the un-used holes in the lamp assembly. Conversely if you feed the lamp assembly from front to rear you won't see the un-used holes. But we would like to make sure we have it correctly mounted per how it left the factory. Also was the lamp clocked to make sure that light was thrown on the reg number.
Unrelated to the tail lamp, does anyone have a favorite nut and stud or nut and bolt to attach the battery ground to on the underside of the engine.
Thanks
Steven

delboy

VOC Member
Hi Folks,
If we are talking singles, from what I've seen on the un-molested bike, the correct Miller tail light is fitted from behind the number plate. It's a sloppy fit in the hole in the number plate. [Hole fits bigger Lucas tail light as fitted to Twins]
3 screws fitted [look rather like 3/16 whit hexagons!] Equal spaced and orientated at approx. 11 o-clock, 4 o-clock and 8 o-clock
Hope that's of some help?
Cheers, Delboy.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Is that a single or twin, Lucas or Miller?
Hi Robert,
It is a single.
Thanks
Hi Folks,
If we are talking singles, from what I've seen on the un-molested bike, the correct Miller tail light is fitted from behind the number plate. It's a sloppy fit in the hole in the number plate. [Hole fits bigger Lucas tail light as fitted to Twins]
3 screws fitted [look rather like 3/16 whit hexagons!] Equal spaced and orientated at approx. 11 o-clock, 4 o-clock and 8 o-clock
Hope that's of some help?
Cheers, Delboy.
Delboy,
Thank you. I'll pass this along to Doug, not sure what tail lamp he has.

delboy

VOC Member
Hi folks,
just a little extra.
Having squinted a lot, and I would say that the screws are actually round head screws, which was my initial thought!
[The nuts being on the rear of the number plate.]
Looking at what appears to be an original Miller tail light, the mounting holes are quite small; around 0.135", which would be clearance for 5BA approx.
As for the lamps orientation, if it is fitted with one of the mounting holes fitted at the 11-o-clock hole, it will naturally shine across the number plate diagonally, as it were.
The number plate itself looks to have six holes drilled in it, but our lamp uses the 3 as mentioned previously.
I really must get out more.
Cheers, Delboy.