Tach Drive Fork

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Brian, it has just occurred to me that you are probably the gent who bought a lightning tacho drive from me on Ebay. But it turned out that it had been modified and was no longer suitable.
I'm glad you managed to find another one.

Cheers Bill

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
no, not me Bill. On the Shadow it still runs a standard drive, it is the ATD drive pinion that has been modified, No magneto and EI does not require mechanical advance / retard as handled by EI map/circuit board.
The EI is driven by a straight forward pinion, I've not pulled the EI trigger unit so can't comment on drive shaft / taper etc but am intrigued to know how it is supported. The EI trigger unit must have a support bearing and I wonder if the RH case was machined to accept a bearing. Although I find it hard to believe that the case would have been so radically re machined, perhaps there are two bearings contained within the trigger unit?.
Considering the above, what I have picked up anecdotally is the motor was used in a grass track machine, was seen on a bench in a totally beat condition, also the motor has been chopped either when it was grass tracked or rebuilt and I guess when a motor is that knackered boring out a case to take a support bearing for the ignition drive is not that radical a consideration.