Swearing on the VOC Forum

• Thread starter Graham Smith
  • Start date

Do you think swear words should be censored on this forum?

• Total voters
G

Graham Smith

Do you think certain swear words should be censored on this forum?

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I vote strongly in favour of censoring swear words on this forum..

Profanity is the currency of a bankrupt vocabulary.

Albervin

VOC Member
I vote strongly in favour of censoring swear words on this forum..

Profanity is the currency of a bankrupt vocabulary.
I agree BUT you must consider this is an international forum. What is a swear word in one country is just part of the everyday vernacular in another. In Australia we had an advertisement for the tourist industry that finished with the line "Where the bloody hell are you?". This was shown internationally & was (I believe) only banned in 2 countries. As long as the membership write as if they were talking on the mainstream radio or TV I think we can rely on good manners prevailing.
I just remembered that the British programme "Have I Got News For You" pushes the limits in acceptable language BUT it is often in a context that is hammering a point home or extremely funny.

indianken

Non-VOC Member
faux pas

I agree BUT you must consider this is an international forum. What is a swear word in one country is just part of the everyday vernacular in another. In Australia we had an advertisement for the tourist industry that finished with the line "Where the bloody hell are you?". This was shown internationally & was (I believe) only banned in 2 countries. As long as the membership write as if they were talking on the mainstream radio or TV I think we can rely on good manners prevailing.
I just remembered that the British programme "Have I Got News For You" pushes the limits in acceptable language BUT it is often in a context that is hammering a point home or extremely funny.

I had a bad experience when I used the American word the buttocks =
(f---y), on my first visit to England. What a faux pas! :eek:
Ken Smith

nobby

VOC Member
Would that mean censorship in the public part or the members part?

And would the beginning of censorship also mean I am soon not allowed anymore to use my real first name? (For those who do not understand: see mph705, and no: it isn't censored already in this reply).

Can I still use 'strong' language when the 'sensible used just as new parts' are totally £$%^&*($%^ ???

With the upcoming sharia in my hometown Rotterdam I am against everything except modified D's that make me think of Orwells' Thought Police...

G

Graham Smith

With the automatic censorship, it would mean that if the word 'crap' was banned - when someone typed the word 'crap' when it was entered into the forum, it would just come out as ****.

However, if someone typed 'crapper', you would see ****per.

Unfortunately the system isn't so intelligent that it could just censor words one one forum and not the other. The censorship has to be across the board.

If we do decide to ban certain swear words, who wants to help me draw up the list?!

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Censoring is a difficult issue. Although I voted for censoring I don't claim to be a saint when it comes to a bit of Anglo Saxon expression. However , some other forum's of which I am a member, which don't use censoring are frequently violated by certain individuals who seem to be incapable of debate without a vile and prolific potty mouth. This I find offensive as I would if I encountered such dialogue face to face. Some use of the profane is fine by me , there are times when it is somehow appropriate and even funny , but it is difficult to regulate on a forum. How do you say it is ok to swear a little bit and don't use some word's ? Personally , I don't see censoring in this context as Orwellian , particularly as the members were polled for opinion.