Suspension - please explain.

stu spalding

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When Marcus's rev counter was in for repair he stuck a small plastic banana on the cable to judge the RPM.
Cheers. Stu.

vibrac

VOC Member
Now come on lads use the search button
try post #18 here

PS where has the 'more' button gone in a search page

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Chiquita,, who I finally ended up working for had gone through various name changes, 1968 joining Elders & Fyffes, E & F ship management, Columbia Ship Management, Great White Fleet and Chiquita. The banana on the end of the rev-counter was a give away key fobs as I could never find a Tachometer at the right price and has been there for well over thirty years. When I did find a suitable tacho it was a far more sensible rev range of 6,000 Jaguar style 5" magnetic running anticlockwise that had to run at half engine speed and the Scintilla mag I had to stop using as I couldn't find contact breakers. Last Gossett ignition trigger was slightly different that had a remote magic box so was able to drive the tacho from there also being anticlockwise.
The banana resting on the brake pedal is one the kids put there and is free with bananas as a protective carrying case.
My handle bananaman came about at the FIM rally 1989 in Barcelona on the steps of the Town Hall and someone mentioned that's DV-D ( Dee Vincent-Day) as one does start talking to her and Robin and the visits I had with her dad and how he all ways took the whole litre whisky bottle but only ever cut a few hands of bananas off the stem as that was the only way I could get them off the ship in Southampton otherwise I could be had up for broaching cargo but as the main cargo was in boxes I walked through with clear conscience, to a young girl, not even a teenager at the time stood back pointed her finger at me and said, "So you are the Bananaman" so have used it ever since.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Why is it that women laugh, grin or smirk when I've mentioned that I worked on a banana boat all my working life. I realise it's the shape of things to come !
FYFFES:: as one disgruntled ship's personnel said going down the gangway after being fired :-(
F*%K
YOUR
FAST
FLEET
of
EFFICIENT
SHIPS
Only company during the war that wasn't ever in a convoy as they were always 20 knot plus ships due to the type of refrigeration. CO2, as it had a critical temperature so had to get into cold water as soon aspossible.

Howard

VOC Member
This thread is "Suspension - please explain", so please get back onto the topic.
My fault, consider knuckles suitably rapped. :(

Update - I've fitted Girling springs in standard boxes with plastic guides inside the springs. With the eyes screwed fully in the pre load gives about 30% compression that I was looking for. The two most suitable pairs of springs in my collection are either chromed or plastic coated, so I haven't a clue what poundage they are. The good thing is, I have several sets of springs of different rates, so if necessary I can mix and match to find what I'm looking for (or put the bumpy originals back). I borrowed the twist the springs to adjust the ride height idea, thanks Marcus. Next job is bushing the friction damper and seat pivots. What did we do before lockdown? :D

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The other day , I cut this out in cardboard, Hope to do it in alloy sheet,
To look like a "D" Oil tank / tool box, Just to fill in the big hole, Or should I just leave it open ?.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_122448 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200524_122448 (2).jpg
    633 KB · Views: 58

timetraveller

VOC Member
Bill, if there is any way you can get to see Mostyn Phelps in Dorset then you should look at the work he does. It is really beautiful and is all done by hand by making a wooden form tool and then panel beating the metal around it. He has made the equivalent of what you are doing for both sides of the bike and it is hard to see that is not original both in style and quality.